In The End.

Hi, so this is only my second fanfic it probably won't be very good, but it will (hopefully) be perfectly punctuated so that's a plus. Anyway on with the story.

~

I was sat in the last lesson of the day, chemistry, when I suddenly felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I quickly punched the passcode into my, Hello Kitty clad, iPhone. It told me that I had a text from my Mum. I sighed. My mother was always there to ruin my day. I opened the text and slowly read the tiny words on the screen.

"I'm leaving for work tonight. Be back in a couple of months."

I felt angry tears prick at my eyes as I shoved my phone back into the pocket of my black skinny jeans. I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to finish the work sheet in front of me. I felt somebody tap my shoulder and I practically jumped out of my skin. I realised it was just Nate and turned to look at the peroxide blonde boy beside me. "Are you alright, Lyra?" He asked. It took me a while to register he was talking to me. I simply nodded in reply. Knowing that if I opened my mouth I'd burst into tears.

For the remainder of the class I worked silently with my head down, my artificially brown hair falling in my eyes as I did so.

When the bell went, I got up and threw all of my things into my Drop Dead back-pack. I sighed and turned towards Nate and said "I'll see you tomorrow..." I started walking away but he grabbed my elbow and stopped me. He began walking beside me. We had been walking for ten minutes and the school was fading into the distance. He gave me the 'Look'. You know the look your best friend gives you when they know something's wrong and you won't tell them? Well, anyway, he was giving me that look.

I knew he wanted answers I just didn't know how to break it to him. He for sure wouldn't let me live on my own for months and I didn't want to be a burden.

See, Nate has been my best friend since I moved to America. He had taken on the protective male role in my life since my Dad died two years ago. Nate was one of the few people that new about my Dad's accident. My Dad was hit by a drunk driver when he was taking me and my older bother to the mall. I was the one that wanted to go to the mall. It was my fault we were in the car, if it wasn't for me wanting to go he would be here now. It's unfair that me and my brother survived and he didn't.

"Look Nate," I began. To be honest I had no idea how to finish that sentence. "She's leaving again isn't she?" Nate replied. I sighed.

"Yeah..."

"How long is she gone for this time?"

"A couple of months." I saw the anger appear on Nate's usually calm face. He clenched his fists. "I don't see how she can do this to you Lyra," He said exasperated. "I mean you're her daughter." I looked at my shoes briefly then lifted my head and mumbled "She stopped being my mother a long time ago." I turned and carried on walking leaving him standing there, not wanting to hear his reply.

I lifted my iPod out of my back pocket and shoved the earphones in. I switched the song to Someone Somewhere by Asking Alexandria. I couldn't help but think about my Dad. He was such a great guy. He would always make sure everyone else was happy before thinking about himself. My train of thought continued until I was in floods of tears.

By the time I arrived home my dark eye make-up was trailed all down face. I dumped my bag in the hall, checking the house phone for messages as I did so, and ran upstairs. I tripped on a loose piece of carpet on my way and fell onto the landing. I looked at my newly grazed hands and sniffed, nothing is ever easy for me is it? I picked myself up off if the floor and continued to my room.

The first thing I did was plug my iPod into the dock and hit shuffle. My room was instantly filled with the beautiful sound of Black Veil Brides. I got up and looked in my full-length mirror. My make-up was smeared down my pale, freckly face and my dark brown hair was knotty and tangled. I sighed and pulled on the bottom of my Marilyn Manson T-shirt. I looked back at my reflection and stared at my watery blue eyes. I punched the glass lightly and turned away. I walked into the bathroom to take a shower, to try and wash away today's events.