Chapter 72 : In pursuit of Naraku

Tōtōsai is putting a notice on his residence, saying that he's moved. However, no sooner has he do so and looks up, Tōtōsai sees a Meidō above him, swallowing part of his home. Sesshōmaru asks Tōtōsai if he really expected to get away from him; Tōtōsai says he didn't, knowing Sesshōmaru would show up sooner or later. Sesshomaru explains that he knows that Tenseiga and the Meidō Zangetsuha were originally part of Tessaiga; however, unlike its parent, Tenseiga cannot steal the powers of those it slays, something Shishinki considered cruel for the Great Dog Demon to do to his eldest son. Now that the Meidō Zangetsuha has been mastered, it must be absorbed back into Tessaiga, for Inuyasha to hone in his own way. Tōtōsai is impressed with how much Sesshōmaru has figured out, wondering if he's going to try killing him; Sesshōmaru prepares to send Tōtōsai down the Path to the Underworld, but is quickly blocked by a ring of fire. Tōtōsai says that since Sesshōmaru's judgement is clouded at the time, he won't be able to understand his father's long time plan. Sesshōmaru sends the flames into the Path to the Underworld, calming down. Tōtōsai, hiding in what remains of his home, tells Sesshōmaru he will only become greater than his father by letting go of attachment to Tessaiga and his hatred of Inuyasha. Though saying the notion is ridiculous, Sessōmaru wonders what his father's plan is.

Meanwhile, as Rin, Lucy, Jaken and Kohaku wait for Sesshōmaru to return, Naraku arrives instead

Meanwhile, as Rin, Lucy, Jaken and Kohaku wait for Sesshōmaru to return, Naraku arrives instead. Amused that Kohaku was never so careless, Naraku has his hand chopped off. Lucy was growl in anger asked Naraku to release Kohaku. Naraku just smirk at Lucy. Instantly growing tentacles to replace his hand, Naraku attempts to take the final jewel shard from Kohaku; however, a pure light comes from within the Shikon Jewel and flows into Kohaku's shard, learning Naraku burning in blue fire. Kohaku, Rin and Jaken quickly take off on A-Un. Lucy was follow them anyway with Yui who protect them. Lucy and Kohaku realizes it was Kikyō's light that saved him. At the same time, Naraku comes to the same conclusion; this news angers him. Farther away, Rin wonders if they lost Naraku. Lucy have bad feeling about it anyway however, no such luck. A swirling cloud of miasma appears in the air behind them with Naraku's laughter; he asks Kohaku if he knew what Kikyō planned to do with his shard, revealing she planned to purify him and the jewel by jamming his pure shard into the jewel. Lucy was hold her anger and letting her power to attack Naraku but he was escape from her attack. However, he doesn't have to take the shard from him yet; he can decapitate him and defile the shard at his leisure. Jaken becomes frightened for his life; if Rin dies a third time, he'll be killed by Sesshōmaru.

On a cliff not too far away, Inuyasha's group sees Naraku's miasma cloud and race to help, seeing as Sesshōmaru isn't around right now. No sooner do they start heading towards to Naraku, vines break out of the ground and block their path. Byakuya appears, being the one who summoned the vines, explaining that he's only staying in their way until Naraku has concluded his business. Inuyasha know that Lucy can protect Kohaku but he can't help it worry of Lucy's safety. Inuyasha chops the vines, but this causes miasma to spill forth. Miroku sucks in the miasma while Inuyasha yells for Byakuya to prepare for death. However, Byakuya quickly switches himself with another doppelganger, leaving the group alone. Inuyasha is surprised Miroku isn't reacting in pain, but remembers the Master of Potions aid the monk wouldn't feel pain. Even so, he have to hurry up and get there to help Lucy.

Elsewhere, Naraku now chases them close to the ground, with his miasma killing all the vegetation he passes. Eventually, he catches up to them, surrounding them with his miasma. Kohaku quickly gives Rin his mask to protect her and warns her to stay away from him. Lucy have her barrier to protect her from miasma. Naraku laughs, asking Kohaku if he believes his demonic energy will take control and make him hurt Rin. Lucy tell Naraku to shut himself up. She had threatened Naraku to finish him by herself making Naraku smirk wider. No sooner has he said this, Naraku makes Kohaku move to decapitate himself. Lucy want to help Kohaku but Naraku use a wire demon to attack Lucy making her use her power to launch them. However, Sango arrives on Kirara, who pins Kohaku to the ground. Lucy was feel relieved to see Sango. Naraku taunts Sango by saying Kohaku runs from her to forget his past. Lucy want to attack Naraku but stop when she saw a different of Sango's face. Already knowing that, Sango says she will still fight for him when he needs her. She attacks with Hiraikotsu and to her surprise, it now has its own demonic energy and it is able to injure Naraku. Naraku is equally surprised; his body doesn't regenerate. Lucy was cheer on Sango when she saw a change of her power anyway. Inuyasha arrives and follows up with an Adamant Barrage attack, tearing Naraku to shreds and forcing him to release miasma. Kagome fires an arrow to clear the miasma, and Miroku attempts to use his wind tunnel, but the injured Naraku manages to flee.

Afterwards, Kohaku tells them that because his shard is still protected by Kikyō, it may be usable in the battle with Naraku. Kagome remembers when Kanna died and a shard of her hit her eye; Kanna said "The light will destroy Naraku", meaning the speck of purity Kikyō planted in the Shikon jewel. Lucy was smile and agree with Kagome. Inuyasha tells Kagome and Sango not to baby Kohaku and tell him truthfully what a pain it is for him to go off on his own. Kagome gives Inuyasha a "sit" command for being insensitive. Lucy was giggle to see Inuyasha. However, they don't listen to him and continue coddling Kohaku. Shippō feels jealous at all the attention Kohaku is getting. Miroku examines his miasma wounds, praying he can hold on. Lucy then thinking about Sesshomaru and wonder where he is anyway. 'Sesshomaru, where are you anyway?' Thought Lucy a little worry of Sesshomaru.

Elsewhere, Naraku is recovering from his battle. Byakuya comments that the plan failed, being told to shut up. A shard of glass falls out of Naraku's barrier; its a fragment of the Mirror Demon. This confuses Byakuya, who is then instructed to give it to Sesshōmaru, who is unknowingly Naraku's pawn.