Chapter 69 : Kanna's gravestone

Night has fallen, and Miroku has erected a barrier to seal everyone inside a cave for their own safety

Night has fallen, and Miroku has erected a barrier to seal everyone inside a cave for their own safety. Shippō wonders about the Mirror Demon, asking if this fight is just like the one against Tōshū and Dakki. Miroku explains that though the powers of their opponents are similar, there is one key difference between them; Dakki was wielded by a human, and thus had a limit to the amount of demonic energy it could steal. However, this Mirror Demon is being controlled by Kanna, so the amount of demonic energy it can absorb may be near-limitless. Elsewhere, Kanna continues to search for Inuyasha's group with her Mirror Demon. As she continues looking for her target, Kanna thinks of Kagura, and how she found her fan before tossing it into the pond. The Saimyōshō find Miroku's barrier and thus lead Kanna to it, along with the Mirror Demon. Byakuya of the Dreams arrives, asking Kanna if everything is going to Naraku's plan; Kanna greets him by name.

The Mirror Demon looms next to the entrance of the cave, shocking everyone as it uses the Red Tessaiga to break the barrier. Sango tosses Hiraikotsu at the top of the cave's entrance, stalling the Mirror Demon with debris. Using the distraction, Kagome fires an arrow at its neck, but the arrow does nothing except vanish along with the wound it created. At the same time, a dark crack appears on Kanna's neck. Concerned, Byakuya asks Kanna what happened to her neck; however, she simply ingores him. Annoyed, Byakuya says it's fine to not answer. Inuyasha draws Tessaiga, ready to fight, but is advised against it by Shippō; it's only a shell without its powers. Kanna orders the Mirror Demon to use Adamant Barrage, making the cave rumble. Inuyasha clashes blades with it, to keep the adamant spears from being launched.

 Inuyasha clashes blades with it, to keep the adamant spears from being launched

However, Inuyasha isn't successful as the Mirror Demon knocks him away. Kagome catches Inuyasha as Sango shields herself, Miroku and Shippō with Hiraikotsu. The adamant spears are fired, with everyone waiting for the inevitable demise that awaits them. However, once the attack is finished, everyone notices not a single one of them was hit; the adamant spears are only embedded in the cave walls. Shippō takes note that it looks like the spears tried to avoid them. Inuyasha explains that it was Tessaiga's barrier that protected them; almost gloating, he says it's not a useless shell after all. Unfortunately, everyone is now looking at Inuyasha in fright; his face has changed, meaning his demon blood has awakened. Kagome tells Inuyasha, making him look at his claws in shock. Shippō panics, saying Inuyasha won't know who they are once he transforms; he'll kill them, and even enjoy it. The Mirror Demon prepares another attack. Inuyasha says for it to bring it on. Kagome asks Inuyasha if he recognizes them. Inuyasha says despite what he looks like, his mind is perfectly clear; Tessaiga is seeking out his demonic energy to help him fight.