Chapter 40 : Jaken fall ill

Sesshōmaru and his companions are walking in the forest when Rin requests to leave to find food. She leaves and Jaken is forced to oversee her actions. Lucy was stay with Sesshomaru and smile looking at Rin's childish. During Rin's search for food, a cluster Saimyōshō disguised as large handed monster attacks her.

Sesshōmaru instantly comes to the aid of Rin, who had been snatched by the monster. When the Saimyōshō disperse, Jaken uses his staff of two heads to control and destroy them. Lucy was attack the others. Unfortunately several Saimyōshō bite into Jaken before being killed.

Sesshōmaru follows a weakened Saimyōshō figuring it will lead him to Naraku. Before that, he asked Lucy to follow him and Lucy agree with him.
Jaken quickly tells Rin to take out the stingers that are in his arms, but before the Rin could remove the stingers they are absorbed into Jaken's body allowing the poison they contain to spread throughout Jaken's body.

Jaken tells Rin how she can save him: find the Sennensō berries, they will counteract the poison. Rin goes to see half-demon herbalist Jinenji. Jinenji, who is afraid of being seen in his human form, only tells Rin where she can get the berries for Jaken. Later Jinenji remarks how much Rin is like Kagome. Rin sets off with A-Un to the top of a mountain in demon ridden valley to find the berries.

Meanwhile, Inuyasha and his gang notice the two Saimyōshō that stung Jaken and try to follow them back to Naraku, before they die from losing their stingers. Sesshōmaru arrives, believing Inuyasha killed them, and fights him. Lucy was sigh and talk a little with Kagome and Sango. The fight is broken up when Kagome tells Sesshōmaru that Naraku disappeared around the Ox Tiger, and Sesshōmaru leaves to look for him. Lucy then follow him anyway. Lucy say apologize to Inuyasha before left.

At the valley, A-Un keeps the demons at bay but Sesshōmaru ends up saving Rin in mid fall from a cliff but nonetheless she was able to collect the berries for Jaken. Lucy was stay with Jaken while waiting for Sesshomaru and Rin. Jaken is given the berries by Sesshōmaru and by the time Rin awakes from her ordeal Jaken is better, but unaware of her heroism. Rin is relieved to see Jaken better.

Lucy was smile to see Rin being safe anyway. She was saying thank you at Sesshomaru while Sesshomaru just nodded his head.