40 || Strong

Evie's POV

I sat on the plane waiting for our flight to take off. I didn't even bother looking for Harry anymore the next morning. I knew Niall could tell that I was feeling depressed because I haven't been eating nor talking much since I woke up.

There was an awkward silence between us, like nobody really knew who should speak first. Niall was just munching on some biscuits while randomly looking around.

"I broke up with him," I blurted out softly.

A few pieces of biscuits flew out of Niall's mouth as it dropped open. "You what?"

"Don't act like it wasn't bound to happen," I sighed.

"I know, but I didn't think you were actually going to do it," he cocked his head to the side. "How do you even break up with someone in your dream? Like, he can still show up anytime, you know."

"I have no idea how this is going to work out, but I will try my best to dream about something else or just avoid him in my dream," I shrugged.

"Or you could try to wake up whenever he shows up."

I frowned. "Then I'd get terrible insomnia every night."

"Oh," Niall popped another biscuit in his mouth. "That's true."

"I'm really sorry," I placed my hand over his. "I know you wanted me to go on this trip with you as a way of helping me, and I just totally wasted your ticket by being a drama queen."

"Not wasted at all," he said, his mouth half full. "It would've been wasted even more if nobody came with me. I enjoyed the company. I hope you enjoyed Mullingar even if you were just there for a day."

"Oh course I did," I forced a smile. "It was very beautiful, and your mum's such a sweetheart."

"So what are you planning to do when you get back?" he asked.

I checked my phone and scrolled through it. "I'm meeting with my therapist when I get back. I need to tell her what I just did and maybe she can help me stop dreaming about Harry."

"And then how about Zayn?"

"He knows I'll be back today, so I guess I'll visit him at work right after," I answered.

"Just back to the same old, huh?"

"Unfortunately," I bit my lip, not knowing what to say next. I really didn't want to be a downer, especially since Niall has done so much for me. I could tell he wanted to cheer me up but didn't know how to do it.

I want to be happy but I can't force myself. This is what I chose to do so I'm sticking by it. I should be happy, right? At least eventually. People would always say that happiness comes from within and it shouldn't depend on another person.

Right after we landed, Niall drove me to my therapist before heading home.

"Thanks again," I smiled, giving him a hug. "I don't know how I can repay you."

"The only way you can repay me is by coming to my birthday party on Wednesday," he grinned. "I'm closing the bar just for us and a couple of other old friends and family who live in the city. It's perfect since you'll be leaving for New York the next day, right? It could be our little good-bye party as well."

"Oh, your birthday?" my eyes widened. "Of course I will go. You can count on that."

"You can bring Zayn," he suggested. "Or other friends if you want."

"I will," I nodded as I stepped out of the car. "See you then?"

He saluted and gave me a wink, just like how he usually would in my dreams. "See ya."

I dragged my little suitcase behind me as I looked for Dr. Spencer's room. Her assistant signaled that I could just go in her office, and so I did.

"Good afternoon, Evie," Dr. Spencer eyed the suitcase I was pulling. "Came from somewhere?"

"Ireland," I answered blankly.

"Vacation?"

"It's a long story, but I will tell you about everything, including that."

"Alright, Evie. I'm all ears."

I told her about Niall, Mullingar, my recent dreams and how everything has been really strange. She was slightly surprised to find out that I broke up with Harry.

"Did your trip make things worse for you?" she asked.

"Yes," I quietly answered. "I just realized it's really stupid to chase after him and look for him when I have a boyfriend. Though I know I really love him, but what if he does exist and barely even recognizes me? What if he's not the same Harry in my dreams? It's just... it's hard to make such decisions all because of a dream."

"You know, I'm proud of you," Dr. Spencer smiled. "What you went through wasn't easy, and having the strength to make the right decision, especially for the sake of someone that matters to you, is a very mature thing to do. I know your relationship with him is rocky right now, but I can tell that you really care for him."

"I do. I really do. I love Harry but I need to move on. I can't just go and hurt people I love just because I'm in-love with someone who doesn't even exist. Who knows if it will even lead to anything?"

"You can never be certain of anything," Dr. Spencer said. "We live in a world of mystery and we will never know the answer to all of our questions. Like what we previously discussed, maybe Harry was just brought to you for a short period of time to make you appreciate your own life and what you can do with it. Maybe once he disappears for good, you can finally move on, and make the most of the life you have with Zayn. You told me that you're moving to New York, so maybe it can serve as your new beginning? Not only for your relationship, but also for yourself."

"That's a good way to look at it," I mumbled. "I was never really too keen on the idea of moving but then if it will help me, then I guess it really is a good idea."

"You could say it's also a perfect timing, right?"

I spent another hour just talking about Harry and how I want everything to just end. As usual, I cried while telling her how I broke up with him.

"I know this sounds cliché but you really just need to keep thinking about happy thoughts," she said. "It's like getting over a nightmare when you were a kid. Watch a film before going to bed, something that will distract you and keep thinking about it before you sleep. If he shows up again, just do everything in your power to resist him or act like you don't know him."

"The last part actually sounds pretty brilliant," I cocked my eyebrow. "I hope it does work."

"It will. Just don't let his love spell work on you right away, okay? Be firm," Dr. Spencer instructed. "Sometimes dreams try to take control of us, but you can't let it anymore."

After our session, I walked out of the room contemplating on whether I should just get on a taxi and head to Zayn's shop or grab something to eat first. The last thing I ate were crackers on the plane and they weren't very satisfying.

As I walked down the hall, I saw another woman who also looked like one of the therapists who worked with Dr. Spencer. I'd see her often in the same department.

I gave her a quick nod and smiled, but it seemed like she didn't notice me because she was in a hurry. When she brushed right past me, a few pieces of paper fell from the folder she was holding.

"Doctor, you dropped some of your - "

I decided to stop when I realized she was talking to someone on her earpiece. I sighed and picked up the files. Maybe I can just give them to Dr. Spencer's assistant.

I knew I shouldn't look at her files, but I couldn't help but glance at them since they were right in front of me. When I looked at what was printed on the paper, I almost choked on my own saliva.

Name of Patient: Malik, Zayn

Condition: Lucid Dreaming / Dream Merging