19 || They Don't Know About Us

Evie's POV

My entire day at work went by like a blur. I barely spoke to anyone, nor did I even respond when they would talk to me. Liam and Danielle kept asking me what was wrong, but I didn't feel like telling them. Not now at least. I just sat in front of my computer the whole day, finished half of a sandwich, and waited until the clock struck 6.

I've sent Zayn numerous text messages already, all were ignored, of course. He wouldn't answer my calls either. I don't even know how I even managed to get to work without crying on the way.

When I got home, I was surprised to see Louis in our living room, with a couple of small boxes.

"Oh, hi Louis..." my voice trailed off in confusion as I set the apartment keys on the table.

"Evie," he gave me an awkward smile, tucking his hands inside his pockets. "Um, Zayn asked me to get some of his painting materials for him since he forgot them this morning..."

I slouched my shoulders as I sank on the couch. "He doesn't want to see me, huh?"

Louis gave me a sympathetic look and nodded. "Yeah... Evie, what's going on? He wouldn't tell me. Are you guys breaking up for good?"

At this point there were already tears brimming in the corner of my eyes. "Louis... I don't know..." I buried my head in my hands and started to cry.

"Hey, sweetie," cooed Louis, sitting beside me on the couch as he draped his arm around my shoulder. "I'm not trying to pry, but you can tell me anything, right?"

I looked up at Louis with a faint smile on my face. He's always been closer to Zayn since high-school, but he never failed to be an amazing friend to me, especially during times like this.

"I fucked up really bad," I sobbed, wiping my eyes with the sleeve of my shirt. "He told me he needed some time to think, but I don't know how long that will be. What if he decides that he never wants me back?"

"Does this have something to do with you not being at his exhibit?" asked Louis.

"Yes," I nodded. "But it's not just that, I... Oh god, I don't even know how to say it. I can't say it..."

"Hey, Evie," Louis touched chin and slowly turned my head to face him. "It's okay. If you're uncomfortable to tell me, I'm not forcing you to. I just want to know if you're okay. If you ask me, the last thing I want is for you guys to breakup. You're the only serious girlfriend Zayn has had, and it would be nice if it stayed that way. You're the only girl I want for my best mate."

"Thank you," I mumbled, resting my head on his shoulder. "I just wish I could turn back time."

"I don't think Zayn will break up with you for good," said Louis quietly, stroking my hair. "He really loves you, Evie. He wouldn't be this heartbroken if he didn't love you. He just probably needs some time alone, and then he'll realize he wants to be with you again."

I loved seeing this side of Louis. Usually he was loud and always up to something naughty, but when you need him, he never fails to be there for you.

I sniffed, forcing a smile. "Yeah. I just hope I don't see you again tomorrow getting the rest of his things if you know what I mean."

"Nah," shrugged Louis with a grin. "He'll come back."

But maybe I don't deserve him anymore, I thought to myself.

Louis got up and motioned towards the things he was packing up. "I better finish this."

"Hey, Louis?" I said, getting up and following him. "Do you mind staying for dinner? I could really use someone's company right now. We could have some pizza and watch films?"