21 || Magic

Evie's POV

I opened my eyes only to find myself lying on the grass with the life vest over my head. I expected us to land on water, but apparently we landed on the bushes. Our pilot kept muttering things in French, and based on what I slightly understood, it wasn't a bad crash - which is why we were okay.

"Evie, you have to see this!" I saw Harry's blurred figure running towards me. "This place is magical! I feel like I'm dreaming!"

"I know I am," I mumbled to myself, making sure he wouldn't hear.

Our pilot, who looked like he was starting to get consumed by stress, stood in between us with his arms firmly crossed below his chest. "Équipe de sauvetage sera ici dans une heure. Ne pas s'égarer trop loin."

"What?" I asked. He must have been too stressed that he forgot he had to speak in English.

"He said something about a rescue team...?" Harry guessed, sounding a bit uncertain.

"Rescue team will be here in an hour," sighed the pilot while scratching his head. "Do not wander off too far."

"Got it," Harry gave him a thumbs-up, while pulling me up with his other hand. "We will meet you here in forty-five minutes."

The pilot frowned. "Where you going?"

"We're going to explore!" exclaimed Harry, who didn't seem too bothered by the current situation we were in. "See you!"

I gave the pilot an apologetic smile as I allowed Harry to drag me out of the deserted park. "Where are we going? We can't go too far unless you want to be stranded here forever."

"We are not going too far, honey," assured Harry, holding on tightly to my hand as if he was afraid that I'd run away.

I giggled softly, still following him even if I had no idea where he was taking me. "This reminds me of the first time you took me out on an adventure. God, I hated you so much that day."

"I wasn't expecting you to actually jump that time, you know? But you actually did!"

"What? So you're saying I could've backed out?"

"Yeah," he nodded, giving me a playful grin. "There was a way back down, I just didn't tell you. I would've told you if you totally freaked out and had a panic attack or something. But surprisingly, you ended up agreeing, and I liked you even more after that."

"You evil little shit," I tried to whack his arm, but missed.

Harry tossed his head back and laughed hysterically. "Hey, don't tell me you regret it? Because when you did it, I was like... man, she's the one. I just know it."

"So you're saying that me succumbing to what you wanted is a sign that I'm the one?" I scowled, pretending to be disappointed.

"Maybe," he teased, retracting quickly by giving me a soft kiss on my forehead. "I'm kidding. I love you."

I gave him a smile, trying to find the right words to say. He's been saying the three letter word quite often, and it never say it back. I've never said it to him, and I'm not really sure if he's waiting for it or what. I don't know why exactly I haven't said it. A part of me still feels torn, like I don't know if I genuinely love him or just the idea of him. Either way, I was whipped.

"So this is it? This is the magical place you were talking about?" I looked up at the elevated barricade that was in front of us. This boy never failed to find ways to surprise me, so I knew there must be something behind it.

Harry's eyes sparkled as he led me up the rocks, helping me get up. "We need to climb over it."

"Oh god, what are you going to make me do again?" I groaned. I did what he said anyway. The moment we got up, he jumped down first, before raising his arms up to catch me.