3 || Why Don't We Go There?

Chapter 3 || Why Don't We Go There?

Evie's POV

It was exactly 12 noon and I was in the office pantry having lunch with two of my closest colleagues, Liam and Danielle. We had just finished preparing presentations and reports for our bosses and we had a lot of free time to ourselves afterwards, since everyone else was in a meeting.

"So basically, our big launch will be moved a week later the said date," said Liam, munching on his chicken burger.

His girlfriend, Danielle, gave my shoulder a light flick. "Ev? You okay?"

I realized the two of them have been talking to me for the past ten minutes and I haven't said a single word.

"I just... I feel weird," I said, rubbing my forehead.

Liam frowned in concern, "You do look a little pale Evie."

"I've had a really bad migraine since this morning," I explained, taking a sip of my tea.

"You've barely touched your food," said Danielle, "And you look sick. I think you should call it a day?"

To be honest, I didn't know what was wrong with me. I felt lethargic and weak, and I didn't feel like eating anything.

"I think it's just the stress," I answered, "I had to rush that report since the moment I arrived and I haven't taken a breather since then."

Liam said, "You've been stressing about that report for weeks now. You know, I should give Zayn a call and ask him to pick you up."

"I don't want him to be bothered. He's preparing for an exhibit," I murmured under my breath, squinting my eyes while trying to ignore the throbbing pain in my head.

"You know he'll do anything for you, Evie," smiled Danielle as she brushed my curly hair behind my ear with her fingers. "I can't count how many times he came to the office to pick you up."

I eventually gave in since I really wanted to just rest the whole afternoon. I felt so lucky that at a time like this to have such understanding and caring friends like Liam and Danielle. They've been my closest friends since I started working, and they've always had my back since day one. I guess they've always felt grateful since I was the reason they got together, but then that's a different story.

Half an hour later, Zayn arrived to pick me up and drive me back home before heading back to his shop. He helped me get on the couch and pulled my shoes off.

"You've been stressing yourself with work too much babe," he said, sitting on the empty space next to where my head was laid. "Maybe you should take a leave to relax your whole system."

"We've just been so busy," I mumbled, barely opening my eyes. "Things will get back to normal after our event. I can't afford to miss work, I'm already taking half the day off now."

I felt his fingers stroke my cheeks, which helped my relax more. He's always been an excellent source of comfort.

He bent down and kissed my lips softly. "I just don't like seeing you like this."

"But you always spend so much time working on your paintings too sometimes," I said.

"Well, that's different. I'm passionate about my art and my shop. Every minute I spend working is worth my time. Can you honestly say you're passionate about PR?" he said, moving his fingers up to give my head a light massage.

I didn't answer. I didn't really like talking about my job or what my passion was, because I felt lost. Instead, I just closed my eyes and murmured, "That feels good Zayn."