24 || Happily

Evie's POV

My eyelids flew open, shocked by the way Zayn was kissing me hungrily, and even more shocked that he was actually here. I wanted to ask questions, but I've missed his touch more than anything. I missed the feeling of his soft lips on mine, the taste of his mouth, the warmth of his breath, and the feeling I would get whenever his skin would touch mine.

For a second I actually thought that I was dreaming. But no, this was real. Zayn came back for me. But what on earth was he talking about? Did he find out about Harry? How is he okay with everything all of a sudden?

"Zayn, I - " I began, trying to speak in between kisses.

He kissed me hard one last time, before placing his finger over my lips. "Sssh, don't explain. It's okay. I understand now. I'm really sorry."

I breathed out loud, staring at the beauty that was in front of me. How was I even able to let him go? I've never been so torn between two perfect things in my entire life. "I don't get it though. Why are you back? How did you find out?"

"I talked to your friend, Niall," he said, still keeping his face only an inch apart from mine. His hand was pressed against the wall, locking me in my position, while his other hand was around my waist. "He told me everything."

"Everything?" I gulped. What on earth did Niall tell Zayn? If he told him about Harry I swear to God he's going to get it.

"Yeah," Zayn nodded, staring into my eyes. "He told me that you've been feeling alone lately because I was too caught up with my art and everything and you had no one to talk to about it because I was busy."

"He told you that?"

"Mhmmm," Zayn pursed his lips. "And he also said that you really wanted to go to my exhibit and that you were talking about it nonstop, but then you ended up getting drunk. He told me how much you cared for me."

"Wow," I said softly. At first I thought Niall told Zayn about my big, embarrassing, crazy secret, but turns out he just saved my ass.

Zayn leaned down and gave my nose a kiss. "You're so beautiful. It was really stupid of me to leave you. Now I'm back, okay? And I'm not going anywhere. I shouldn't have gone anywhere in the first place. I should've listened and let you explain."

"It's okay, you don't need to feel sorry," I smiled weakly. "You had every right to get mad at me. I was just really scared though. I thought you weren't coming back."

"Well now I'm here," he said while leaning his forehead on mine. "You have nothing to worry about."

I took his hand in mine and led him to the couch where I ended up resting on his lap. I looked up to see him still keeping his gaze on me. "I think that was the first time we've been apart for more than a day," I said.

"And it killed me every second."

"Me too," I sighed. "Would you have returned if Niall hadn't talked to you?"

"Honestly, maybe not this soon," he admitted, stroking my hair. "Call me crazy but I really thought you were cheating on me. I thought you were cheating on me with Niall."

My eyebrows furrowed as I gave him a strange look. "Niall? Are you serious?"

"Yep," he chuckled, face-palming himself. "Ridiculous, huh? You would never cheat on me, right?"

I felt a lump form on my throat upon hearing his last sentence. Am I cheating on him? Technically, I wasn't right? Maybe mentally and emotionally?

"Of course not," I finally answered, feeling a huge pang of guilt on my chest. "You wouldn't either, right?"