Chapter 63: Sakura

___

I didn't notice when I'd fallen asleep but it was hard to not notice the fact that I was now awake. Sunlight streamed through the window in my room, blinding me as I immediately shut my eyes and thrust my face into my pillow with a loud groan.

The pounding headache was fully underway, along with the waves of nausea rolling throughout my body as I tossed and turned, kicking up my sheets in an attempt to get comfortable and sink back into a dreamless sleep. I grimaced, knowing that was probably unattainable at this point.

A quiet knock at my front door resounded in the silent apartment, as I internally debated answering the door and trying to catch some more sleep. The internal conflict was over as quickly as it came when I recognized that a) sleep wasn't happening and b) someone probably needed me for something.

Hoisting myself up and fighting the sudden vertigo, I swiftly crossed my bedroom to the closet, my movements only slightly hindered by last night's outfit. I frowned at my reflection in the full length mirror and then sighed in defeat, realizing that though I was too drunk to change last night, I at least had enough clarity to do my skincare routine. I'd take the small wins with grace. I ran my tongue over my teeth and idly prided myself on brushing them.

The knock on the door repeated, erasing my remaining grogginess as I realized it might actually be something important.

Reaching behind my back, I started to fumble with the clasps and zipper of my dress as I hurried. Finally undoing the clasps and pulling the zipper down, it snagged the fabric near the nape of my neck and was starting to seem impossible to undo, my arms straining over my head and my patience thinning.

With a huff, I crossed my apartment to the door anyway, thinking Ino had probably wanted the details of last night. I squinted at the light filling my apartment from the window, noting that it was a little early for her to be banging down my door.

I turned the knob, realizing a second too late that Ino was on a mission, and that whoever was at the door would be greeted with an interesting sight.

"Uh hi." I stuttered, attempting to regain my bearings while faced with Kakashi and his raised brow. He smoothed out his composure quickly as he became used to my appearance.

"Hey." Was all he responded with. Not having the patience for beating around the bush, I spoke first.

"Any particular reason you're here on this god awful morning?"

I leaned on the doorframe, trying not to squint at the direct sunlight flowing in. Another wave of nausea rolled through me as I attempted to hide my discomfort, the pessimism leaking into my tone revealing my failure at doing just that.

"Any particular reason you're still in a cocktail dress?" He quipped pointedly. A moment of silence passed as we stood opposite one another.

".. fair point." I sighed, removing myself from the doorframe and letting him in.

"You've seemed to have calmed down a bit." He tentatively tested as he stood in the middle of the living room, not knowing where to go.

I motioned to the couch and sat beside him once he did, the quick motion making me grit my teeth as my head swam for a second.

"The hangover trumps any other feelings I may have right now." I explained succinctly.

"Fair point." He echoed, a playful smile almost reaching his eyes. I sensed he was moving towards saying something important so I stopped him.

"Before we get into the heavy stuff, could you help me unzip? I think it's caught in my hair or something." I muttered, not meeting his gaze while turning my back to him. I tried not to think of much of the situation, but of course the copy ninja would do just the opposite.