Chapter 51: Sakura

So everybody, this chapter is very, very long. 10,000 words! I was trying to decide whether or not this would be the end of the book, and it would help me greatly if you commented your opinion. This is extremely unedited and I will probably go back and edit later, so essentially it's a rough draft. I was just so excited to get it to you all! :) 

Thank you for your support and don't forget to vote, comment, add to reading list etc. 

Enjoy! 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The door to my left swung open. Glancing at the person approaching, my lips tilted downwards immediately.

It was Yamanaka-san. Just my luck.

"Hey there, Sakura." He sat down across from me, a medium sized case folder in his grasp.

"Yamanaka-san." I spoke while bowing my head out of respect.

"I'm just going to ask you a few questions, that's all. Try to answer them honestly. Unfortunately if you choose to be uncooperative, I'll be forced to take different measures." He had started his speech friendly and ended it with a stern warning.

His eyes though, they carried pity for me.

It made sense.

I was close to Ino at one point in my life. He sees me as her. I was this innocent girl being interrogated like a murderous criminal.

He probably imagined Ino in my position. His expression softened after a few moments of tense silence.

"Um, I have a question or two before we begin." I stated quietly, my bangs falling into my face. Wrinkling my nose in annoyance as a result, I tilted my head to get them out of the way.

My hands were restrained so this was the best I could come up with. It was ironic, nonetheless. When treating patients who were restrained, I saw that they used the same tactics to make themselves more comfortable. In a way, them being able to have the choice of comfortability within cuffs was freedom, essentially. Freedom from confinement. A flash of triumph went through my eyes before a dull look settled in. I still kept in mind my overarching predicament.

My thoughts stopped racing a mile a minute as Yamanaka-san started to speak again.

"Go ahead, shoot." He glanced up from my file, encouraging my response.

At first, I was silent. I had many questions, but each one would reveal characteristic aspects of myself to Yamanaka-san. He analyzes people for a living, and if I slip up, I might as well be thrown into an asylum. I know that I don't have the best record for mental stability, but I'd have to attempt to fake it here.

I'm intelligent. I can cover things up and remain deceitful, just as any other seasoned shinobi can. I'm smart, no doubt about that. But Yamanaka-san is smarter.

One burning question rose above the rest as I maintained my composure, letting very little, if any emotion be seen.

"Is Kakashi.. Sensei also being interrogated?" I asked calmly. I mentally kicked myself for pausing before adding on the honorific suffix. Referring to Kakashi so casually all this time has proved to be a bad habit. This habit very well may be precedent to my downfall. A half second pause matters here just as much as it would matter out in the battle field. It was war, after all. A war of minds.