Chapter 47: Sakura

"Hn."
...
...
...
Samantha and I shot up from our half asleep positions and raced to Itachi.

He was still on the floor, while the rest of us had dragged pillows to lay on and monitored him for the past few hours.

It was well into the night, and now Itachi was moving his lips in order to form a sentence.

"Vitals are stable." I spoke, a newfound energy within me as I gazed at the now awake Itachi.

"S-.. Sam I'm fine." Itachi stated quietly, staring intently at Samantha's tear stained face.

I unintentionally narrowed my eyes at his sentence. He shortened her name, he never called her that before. Implying, that he still hasn't gained full speech skills.

I inwardly sighed. I'd probably have to stay here longer than I'd planned to guide him through speech therapy. Unless Samantha would be able to.. I glanced at her.

She was looking anywhere but Itachi. Quickly wiping her tears, she sniffled.

"Of course you're fine, you're Itachi Uchiha. Uchihas are the best." She smiled and laughed, more tears forming.

"Liar." Itachi accused half heartedly.

"Obviously." She grinned.

Samantha turned to me and spoke, saying, "Take care of Itachi post-op. Not that this was an operation or this is a hospital but you know what I mean. Follow the same protocol."

I nodded, moving to grab Itachi and transport him.

"Do you need help?" Kakashi had already moved to help me before he even finished his sentence before Samantha stopped him.

"Sakura has it, she's strong. But I need to talk to you." She prompted, cuing my leave.

"You're so heavy Itachi." I grumbled, putting one arm around his waist and the other with his arm around my shoulder.

"I can't exactly help it." Itachi managed to say, more emotion coming out of him than I'd ever seen.

"Did you just sass the only capable medic nin here?" I questioned innocently.

"No ma'am."

"That's what I thought." I smirked, starting the standard procedure for post operative care.

As soon as he was placed gently down onto the bed, I immediately assessed him.

My eyes widened as I realized what was off. I was staring into onyx eyes, ones who at the moment, were throwing a questioning look my way.

His Sharingan was disabled, hopefully temporarily.

Instead of mentioning it to him, who'd probably worry unnecessarily, I figured I'd omit that information for now.

As I looked into his eyes I noticed the uncanny resemblance between and his younger brother.

Their eyes had depth. Both have lived through experiences that I couldn't ever begin to empathize with. Sure, I had my own share of trauma, but I'd hide it and remain positive. They, on the other hand, don't mind showing it. They don't mind forcing everyone to be reminded of their pain.