Chapter 50: Sakura

My eyes slowly opened as I was slowly jostled by movement. Adjusting to the light of the sun, I squinted as two things clicked.

I was seeing out of both my eyes, and the movement that woke me was Kakashi. Taking in the situation, I realized I was on Kakashi's back.

The sun was warm, though it was close to setting. Maybe in an hour or two.

"Finally awake?" He asked, taking precision in his steps. He was breathing evenly and moving confidently. We probably had been on the path for a while.

"Yeah, you can put me down now." I responded calmly, already getting ready to jump down from his back. I had almost forgotten he was fairly tall.

He locked me in his grasp, tightening his arms as he spoke cheerfully with an underlying threat.

"Actually, I can't let you down. You're fresh out of surgery. I'm not a medic, but even I know you need rest. Plenty of it. So don't even think about it." He finished. I could almost see his smile filled with promise of a threat if I proved to be my usual stubborn self.

I sighed but said nothing else. I looped my arms around his neck and lay gently against him, feeling nothing in particular as I took in the familiar scenery. Minutes stretched as the sun warmly acknowledged us, providing a small sense of serenity. I felt cradled by the warmth. Safe. The slow bleeding colors of the sunset prompted my next words.

"So that's it? We're going to Konoha?"

"Yeah. Which reminds me, make sure you get checked out by Tsunade-sama." Kakashi spoke, stepping over various rocks with ease.

"Course." I responded quietly. An overwhelming wave of tiredness swept over me as we made our way to the village. The first stars of the night pieced the sky, the sun finally dulling into night. A breeze blew by, evoking a slight shiver from both Kakashi and I.

"Such odd weather." He murmured. I nodded in agreement with him. It was so warm with the sun earlier and yet, as soon as a hint of darkness came cool air immediately appeared. Well, maybe it wasn't odd after all.

I lost myself in whirling thoughts which weren't all that relevant. I was soaking in the moment; every aspect of this trek back home.

The way the sun had now diminished itself and became night. How stars littered the sky and provided dazzling spears of light in our path. The even breathing of Kakashi and the cool summer night air.

The feeling of being content. That's what I was relishing. I had no thoughts geared toward anything else except this journey as it occurred. I was content with the present, something rare.

Our silence was natural and the animals around provided small chatter to compliment it. The night wasn't cold so much as it was comforting.

He was no longer shivering and had adjusted. I too, had adjusted to the night and what it brought along.

The rough material of Kakashi's flak jacket met my cheek familiarly with each step forward, softly grating it. I didn't mind as I got used to the consistency of the action.

My head rested against his shoulder, my eyes fighting to stay open. I wasn't sleepy. I wanted to shut everything out and succumb to the tide of contentness. Another part of me wanted to open my eyes and take everything in, reaching  my contentness in that way instead.

Torn between the two, I opted for a middle ground and had my eyes half shut. Slowly without realizing, they fluttered shut as Kakashi's pace decreased. I took a deep breath and exhaled in a sigh, the scent of the forest etching itself into my memory thoroughly.