Chapter 36

Demi's POV

It was a normal day, just like any other. The birds were flying, the wind was howling through the trees, the sun was streaming in a streak down the living room just as it did every day at this time of the late morning. We were having our normal ass routine, she was being cute, cooking me breakfast after our late night, filled with love and movies. Everything was perfect. Suddenly, it wasn't, the sizzling sound of the bacon was cause for alarm, I felt uneasy, as if I knew something were about to happen, I should have taken her hand and ran to the basement where I had installed a safe room. But I didn't. We weren't safe. That's when he came through the door. Slamming our wooden frame with all his strength. Lexi was instantly alarmed, running straight towards me.

For the next few hours, days, he would do the unspeakable, the unforgivable. Things that will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Lexi's POV

He came through the door and I instantly knew, he wasn't good news. The gun he held, so tightly in his hand was screaming "run!". I instantly go into alert mode and make my way to Demi subconsciously standing forwards protecting her from his vicious smile, those cruel, crooked teeth, making me want to puke. The malice in his look made us both feel abused, exposed, vulnerable. Only if we knew it was bound to get worst, that his thick, dirty smirk was naught but the start. His dangerous, slim, vile lips moved as he screamed "ok! Here's what's gonna happen. You are both gonna stay still while we take everything we want." He proceeded to smile again, somehow in an even more creepy, bone-chilling smirk and I knew it wasn't the end of it. We both stood still, listening as they went through all our stuff. Minutes passed as slow as hours and soon tears sprung to my eyes as they dragged Max into the room. I felt the urge to run to him, but, my feet were glued to the floor by his piercing, assaulting eyes. We watch as his unconscious body is dragged out of the house, and out the window, we saw them leave him laying on the grass. Relief filled my body to know that at least he will be fine. "Fuck he called on us!" One of the 5 men screamed. "I'm gonna kill that fucking bastard!" screamed a 6 feet tall, tan young man, his bulky muscles tense, the veins and nerves on his neck popping out in stress and anger. A slightly shorter and stubbier male instantly held him back. "We don't have time for that! We need to get out of here!" Suddenly I felt a cloth over my face.

We had been moving, the cloth covering my face, which I'm guessing to be a cheap fabric bag, augmented my breathes until they became deafening. The desire to hear for Demi was too strong to be diminished by my anxiety, I wouldn't let myself be weak, I must protect her. I had just barely gotten my med mix right, between my social anxiety and slight schizophrenia the medication measures have been hard to distribute. Focus, I needed to focus, and so I did. My eyes closed so I couldn't see the small streaks of light that streamed through the loops of the sheer fabric. So I listened, and I listened. Nothing. She wasn't here! Where was she?

The next thing I remember was the cold and thickly dirty concrete floor. My head snapped up quickly as soon as I came to my senses, and I searched for another soul, most importantly, Demi. Where was she, She wasn't next to me, for that I know for sure. My eyes start to adjust to very low level of light, and soon I can see enough to make out the size of the darkroom, a small concrete cell you could say, there were a few short and thick bars placed on the lower part of the floor, and on a slight window that probably led to outside. To freedom. I keep trying to make an escape route, but, I can't. I just can't. There's no way out. There's no way to watch. So I waited, waited for any sound in the slightest, waited for any sign that I wasn't alone. I silence was so loud, so silent, that my ears started to ring. We were definitely somewhere outside the city, we couldn't possibly be too far as we hadn't possibly driven too far in a short period of time. No. We were close. Right next to salvation.