Chapter 18: New Allies

*Y/n POV*

I let out a deep breath, fixing my jacket. Steeling my nerves, I reached for the doorknob, pushing the door open. I stepped inside and walked to the desk, sitting across from the foreigner.

"Your highness," He said, "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"The same to you," I replied, "I'm sure I don't need introductions, but I am Y/n L/n."

"My name is Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette," He introduced, "But you may refer to me as Lafayette."

"Alright then, with introductions out of the way," I rubbed my hands together, "Let's get down to business. Natasha has informed me that you have very generous offers?"

"Of course," He reached into the bag at his feet and pulled out a piece of paper, unfolding it, "My Queen, the beautiful Antoinette is willing to offer almost free trade, with only a 10% tax on imports. This of course grants you access to the imports of Frank colonies, although I feel the Libertian colonies would be most interesting to you."

'Libertian colonies?' I thought to myself, 'That's a good source of cotton and tobacco. The only thing wrong with this is how close we would have to be to the Lihnean colonies in Libertia.'

"And what do you ask in return?" I replied, "It would be foolish to believe that this is coming completely out of goodwill."

"Of course," He answered, pulling out a different contract, "In return, Queen Antoinette is asking for a quid-pro-quo offer, as well as a military treaty between our nations."

"What would this treaty imply?" I asked, taking to contract from his hands.

"To be sure, it doesn't say that you have to be involved in every war we get involved in. However, it does require that if we are forced to defend ourselves, you would send us supplies and soldiers. And vice versa, of course. The Queen has a policy that none of our treaties hold one party over the other."

"Sounds almost too good to be true," I said, "Would it be possible to meet with the Queen? To finalize and sign these treaties."

"Of course, your highness," Lafayette said, taking both sheets and putting them back in his bag, "I'll be returning to Francia in two days, and then I'll inform the Queen of your offer."

"Wonderful," I said, as we both stood up, "May I offer you lodging in the castle? We have plenty of rooms available."

"I'll accept the offer on one condition."

"What is that?"

"You pay for my drinks tonight."

.

.

.

"That can be arranged."