Chapter 5: Coronation

*Third Person POV*

Three days passed, as preparations were made in the castle and city. Parties were planned, decorations were put up, and the people prepared for their new king to ascend to the throne of Regulus.

Inside the castle, the courtyard was prepared for the tens of thousands of guests that would be crowding in during the coronation. The throne room was filled with row upon row of wooden chairs, each looking like a throne in and of themselves. These would be filled by the nobles that will come to see the new king, as the commoners would crowd in the courtyard outside.

Y/n, as opposed to how the city was acting, felt a growing sense of dread as the day grew closer and closer.

A number of thoughts ran through his head, many of which involving what would come when he was king and if he'd be ready for the duties and responsibilities.

Terror and adrenaline coursed through his veins, mostly because he hadn't eaten or slept in any of those three days.

Yeah, despite having the greatest chefs in the entire world at his beck and call, he hadn't eaten a thing. Amazing that a peasant boy like him hasn't gorged himself on the fine foods he had access to.

And finally, the day came.

As expected, crowds of peasants and commoners pored through the gates, past the guards, and into the courtyard. The large wooden doors were open to their widest point, and maids stood on either side taking each noble's coat as they walked in. The nobles in question were lead from their carriages to the throne room, walking the same way Y/n himself would only an hour later.

The clock tower at the height of the palace slowly ticked down the time to the start of Y/n's new life as King. As it did, Y/n stood at the top, inside the clock on a viewing platform he had discovered two days prior.

Y/n let out a sigh as he looked down on the amassing crowd, his nervousness and fear get the better of him.

"Are you alright kid?"

Y/n turned to see De'volt walking up behind him, his armor polished and sparkling in the light.

"Oh um," Y/n stuttered, "I'm just... nervous."

"Your father had the same thought when he became king," De'volt mused, standing next to Y/n, "He wondered if he was properly prepared to be king. After, he only had leadership experience on the battlefield at the time."

"What did he do?"

De'volt chuckled to himself, "I'm not at all sure. Neither was he, to be honest. Most of our first years ruling were spent fumbling in the darkness."

"Our?" Y/n questioned.

"Oh, you wouldn't know," He realized, "Cedric was also with us back then, chosen by your father for his assistance in the war. Personally, I think he's a bit of a high-seated jackass, but F/n saw something good in him."

"Thank you, Captain," Y/n said, taking a deep breath, "Alright, let's do this. Before I pass out, if possible."

"That's the spirit!"

De'volt led the young king back down the stairs and towards his own room, where the preparations were to be completed.