Chapter 9: Elf

*Y/n POV*

Running a hand through my hair, I let out an elongated breath and walked back down the stairs. Exiting back into the crowds, I was no longer given admiration and cheers, but awkward stares and silence.

Ignoring the stares and walking along the castle wall, I spoke to Captain De'volt.

"What'd I do? Everyone seems... different."

"Well, elves are not the most... popular bunch in the city," He said, "You're father despised the way they were treated, since most people viewed them the same way as witches. Of course, he was always more preoccupied with the Great War, or building a kingdom, or controlling the earliest days of the union to make sure we didn't try to kill each other again."

"...Disappointing."

"What?"

"Disappointing," I repeated, "This city, this kingdom. There's a lot of work that needs to be done."

De'volt laughed, "Your father said that as well. You seem more like your dad every time you open your mouth. But... there is something distinctly like your mother."

I eventually walked back into the throne room, ignoring the droves of foreign royalty and nobles from my own kingdom. I immediately walked up the stairs and into my room, ditching the long robe and clothes I was in. I then walked out and ran immediately into the lady I knew as the head maid, Mademoiselle Verill.

 I then walked out and ran immediately into the lady I knew as the head maid, Mademoiselle Verill

"Oh, Mademoiselle," I said, nearly colliding with her, "Um, is there a problem?"

"No, no sir," She replied with a sweet smile, "I just wanted to let you know that the elf-girl you had us take care of is in the bath right now. I thought you'd want to talk to her?"

"Of course, of course," I said, "Thank you very much."

"You're welcome, your highness," She bowed, "I wish you luck."

"Huh?"

"Oh, it's just something I used to say to your father when he was king," She answered, "He always says he needed luck."

"Well then," I said, "Uh, good luck to you too."

Giving a giggle and walking off, I realized that she was much older than I was, despite her young looks. I turned towards where she had come from and walked towards the baths.

*??? POV*

I sat in the warm bath, feeling the woman behind me scrubbing my back with a wet sponge. The whole room was clean, and the maids were using magic to keep warm water and steam filling the room.

The new king had surprised me when he interrupted and arrested those men. He even used magic in public, how is that possible? I heard rumors that the queen had been a witch from a tribe in the North Woods, but I had always thought those were false.

"Um, ma'am?"  I said, "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course you can," She said, smiling sweetly, "You're the king's guest after all."

"Was the queen a..."

"Witch?" She finished, "In short, yes. She came from a tribe in the North Woods and apparently, when the king went to meet her father, he fell deeply in love with her. He literally would not return to the castle unless she had married him. Eleven months later, they returned to the castle hand in hand."

"Wow..." I said, "I guess that explains the new king being able to use magic. But, why would he stand up for me?"

"Y/n isn't royalty," The lady said, "Well, by blood he is, but not in his mind. He was raised in a small village, and got to see a way of life that many here don't and will never get to see."

Just then, there was a knock at the door, the lady behind me stood up and went to the door. Opening the door, I could tell her face turned bright red.

"Y-your highness!" She said, "This is quite the intrusion!"

*Y/n POV*

My face turned bright red, seeing that the bathroom was occupied. I immediately backed away from the door, the maid leaving the door slightly cracked behind me.

"U-um, is she here?"

"Yes, she is," The maid replied, "Would you like me to tell her anything?"

"N-no," I replied, "Just.. send her to my quarters when you're done."

"As you wish, your highness."

"T-thank you."

The maid shut and locked the door, and I turned around, let out a deep breath.

"Well, that was a bad first impression."