Chapter 4 - Brake Down

“I don’t like nor trust her.” I muttered as we sped off in the jeep following Braedon on her bike. “I mean she jumped from Deucalion to Araya. Mercenary or not that’s a little out there.”

“I trust her more than I do Peter Hale.” Lydia Shrugged.

“Oh come on, you still using that?”

“Yes.” Lydia, Scott and Stiles said at the same time.

I slouched back in a huff. Do to only having 5 seats in the jeep I was in the very back, behind the back seats. We had been rotating for the entire trip and now it was my turn. Except Stiles, he wouldn’t let anyone else drive.

“What I’d like to know is how Kate is alive. I get the deep scratch, but we were at her funeral where she was put six feet in the ground inside a casket.”

“She was never in it.” Scott said.

“Who was she?” Kira asked. We had told Malia, but Kira wasn’t there at the time.

“She was Allison’s aunt.” Lydia said in a small voice, as everyone went quiet at the thought of Allison.

“It’s okay, you don’t have to talk about it now.” Kira said to Scott.

“No, you should know. You need to know.” Scott replied, but he didn’t seem to want to say anymore so Stiles continued.

“She was the one who set the fire that killed most of Derek’s family.”

“Some of them survived like Cora and Peter.” Scott added.

“A very angry Peter.” Lydia chimed in and then looked over at me.

“Yeah, he was the one who bit and turned me.” Scott said.

“And the one who finally caught up to Kate and killed her.” Lydia said.

“He slit her throat with his claws.” I explained. “But he was an alpha at the time and there’s a myth that someone can be turned by a scratch… but only if the claws go deep enough.”

“Yeah, but we saw her buried.” Stiles said.

“No, we saw a casket, remember?” Scott said. “She wasn’t in it. The Calaveras heard that Kate had been killed by an alpha’s claws, so they wanted to make sure she was really dead. Her body was healer more and more the closer she got to the full moon. They took her. If a hunter is bit they have to take their own life before they change. The Calaveras… they treat the code like law. They make it their responsibility to enforce it, but Kate didn’t do it.”

“Good for her, I wouldn’t have done it either.” Malia said.

“She killed half a dozen people to get out.” Scott said.

“I wonder if she’s a werewolf.” I muttered.

“What do you mean?” Kira asked.

Scott answered for me, knowing what I meant. “There’s an old saying. Sometimes the shape you take reflects the person you are.”

“What kind of shape is a sociopathic bitch?” Lydia said just as something hit the side of the jeep and Stiles swerved and slammed on the brakes. Well I think he slammed on the brakes, either that or the jeep broke down. Braedon came back once she realized something was wrong.

We jumped out of the jeep as she walked up to us. “What happened?”

“I don’t know. It was like we hit something.” Stiles said.

“Scott, we need to get there by night. It’s too dangerous otherwise.”

We all looked at something before Stiles said, “Go.”

“Not without you.” Scott replied.

“Dude, someone needs to find Derek. We’ll think of something, we always do.” Stiles said to him as Braedon headed back to her bike. Scott nodded and started to head off.

“Scott!” Kira called after him. “I can’t think of anything else to say other than be careful. And I know be careful sounds kid of lame and I’m totally sure the second you’re gone I’m going to think of something much better, but…”

“Be careful works for me.” He smiled and she gave him a hug.

“Scott, the sun is going down.” Braedon said impatiently. They let go of each other and Kira backed up as I walked over.

Scott looked at me and knew exactly what I was feeling. Kira back up a little more and I spoke so only he could hear. “Bring him back.” My voice was small and pleading.

Scott managed a nod as he lightly gripped my arm to comfort me. “Maybe you should go instead.” He said.

“No, you’re the alpha and I don’t think Braedon would except that.” Scott nodded.

“I’ll find him.” He left with Braedon and I just stared after them for a while. Derek and I may not be together anymore, but that didn’t mean I didn’t still love him. I probably always will just like Scott would always love Allison. He was the only one that understood.

Soon I felt someone hug me from the side. “It’s Derek. He’s not that easy to take down.” Stiles said. “Scott will find him.”

I nodded.