Chapter 26 - Banshee Screams

Parrish easily got us in. Police uniforms. Works like a charm every time. One of the orderlies was unlocking the door with me, Stiles, Lydia and Jordan standing back.

“What is this?” A harsh voice stopped us all in our tracks.

“Oh, no. Not this guy.” I heard Stiles mutter.

“What the hell are we running here?” The guy asked as he walked over to the other orderly. “You don’t just open the door for any guy with a badge.”

“We need to talk with Meredith Walker.” Parrish stated, “It’s about a murder.”

“Well you can talk to her all you want, but these three, particularly that one,” He gestured to Stiles, “Aren’t going near her.”

“They’re crucial witnesses to an ongoing investigation. I wouldn’t have brought them here if it wasn’t absolutely… crucial.” Parrish stammered at the end.

“Okay, deputy…” The guy got up in Jordan’s face, “how about you come back here with a court order, than I’ll listen. And as for you, Mr Stilinski how about you come back with payment, in full. Daddy may be Sheriff, but he’s late on the bills. I guess those government jobs aren’t as reliable as they used to.”

“But they do help when you need a favour.” Parrish cut in. “Like how about a month ago PD helped you get home after pulling a point one on a breatherliser.”

“No.” Stiles whispered with joy as I chuckled.

“Alright…” the guy finally said as he handed Stiles over the keys. “I’m not against a little quick pro quo, not at all.” He walked away.

Stiles turned to Parrish. “You. I like you.” He said as Lydia and I smiled. “I’m gonna keep you.” He muttered as Parrish opened the door. I was about to follow through, but I stopped sensing Scott. He was panicking or was pumping with adrenaline I wasn’t sure, but his heart rate was through the roof.

“Anna? You alright?” Jordan asked.

I took a second to answer. “Yeah, yeah, I’m fine.” Scott had calmed down very quickly. Maybe he was with Kira or something. That was something I didn’t want to think about so I continued with what we were doing.

Meredith was sitting calmly on her bed and her head slowly turned to face us as we entered. Lydia walked over to her and said hi before asking; “I was wondering if you could tell me what the third key is? The cypher key, like the one you gave me before.”

“I can’t tell you.” She stated.

“Meredith, what do you mean you can’t tell us?” Stiles asked as he and Lydia took a seat on the opposite bed to Meredith while I stood back next to Parrish. “All we need is numbers, letter, hieroglyphs, whatever you want.”

“I can’t.”

“Then why did you give us the second key?” Lydia asked.

“I wanted to help. That’s what I want to do, I want to help.”

“Great!” Lydia exclaimed. “So help us now, okay? Give us the third cypher key.”

“Things have changed… I can’t.”

“Why not?” Stiles asked.

“Guys, go easy on her.” Jordan said from beside me.

“I’m sorry.” Meredith said. “I can’t… he… he doesn’t want me to.”

“He?” I asked. “Meredith who is he?” I asked.

“The Benefactor.” She stated.

“The Benefactor?” Stiles clarified and Meredith nodded.