Chapter 32 - Reishi

Melissa POV

Melissa, Derek, Deaton and Satomi all stood around the body of one of the dead werewolves who was killed by the virus. Deaton was doing a brain autopsy when he turned to Melisaa. “I think I know what this is.” He stated. Melissa felt hope until Deaton continued. “Unfortunately it I’m right it’s not good for Scott and the rest of them… they’re going to die without an antidote.” He stated as Melissa’s heart began to pound even more.

Deaton stood up straight and removed that mask over his mouth. “It’s a variant of canine distemper. A few years ago, an outbreak in Yellowstone killed 40% of the wolf population.”

“What it going to do to our population?” Melissa asked, her heart still pounding, as she had to hold back the need to throw up.

“Well, it’s been altered to infect quite a bit faster.”

“You mean it’s been weaponized?” Derek asked.

“It infected my whole pack.” Satomi cut in.

“Everyone except for you.” Deaton stated. “That’s the real question. Did you not get infected? Or are you immune?”

“If your pack was infected than who was doing all the shooting at the entrance to the woods?” Derek asked.

“Apparently another assassin.” Satomi offered. “Personally I’d rather face a gun than a variant of small pox.”

“Sounds like you’ll get plenty of chances.” Melissa stated as she paced back and forth in the room.

Satomi went quiet for a while before looking up at Derek. He caught her gaze and she looked down. “Sorry, I just noticed… how much you remind me of Talia. I used to visit her a lot. Do you remember me?” She asked.

Derek managed a small smile. “I remember the tea. You always brought that tea it… smelt terrible.”

“I brought that as a gift. Your mother loved it.”

“What sort of tea?” Deaton suddenly asked.

“What?”

“The tea, the smell, what kind was it?” Deaton asked again.

“Reishi. Wild purple Reishi, it’s very rare.”

“It’s also a very powerful remedy for sickness.” Deaton explained. “Satomi you didn’t get infected because you’ve been inoculated.”

“Okay, okay.” Melissa said, her heart now pounding with hope. “How rare is it? Can we get some?”

“We don’t have to.” Derek stated. “My mother kept some of it. It’s in our vault, at the school.”

“I’ll ring Raf.” Melissa immediately said, snatching out her phone.

“Melissa, I can’t tell you any more than I already have.” Agent McCall said through the line as soon as he answered the phone.

“No, listen. There’s an antidote. Tell Scott it’s in the Vault.”

“The what?”

“Raf, this isn’t going to make sense, but you need to find Scott and tell him that the antidote is in the vault. It’s called Reishi mushrooms.”

“They’ll be in a jar on one of the shelves.” Derek added.

“They’ll be in a jar on one of the shelves.” Melissa repeated to her ex husband. “Tell Scott.”

“Alright.” He finally said before hanging up.

“I have to get to the school.” Derek stated and handed for the door with Satomi behind him