Five more years when the bet comes to play [Edited]

(Pretend the girl is a redhead)
Maxon

Today is the day, it's been five years Mer and I hav been flirting back and forth I think. I'm hopeful she will want to be my girlfriend or maybe more if I we are on the same page, which I hope we are. But we could never be more than friends that's  not how it could ever work with my life. God I wish I could just tell her I love her and we could plan to be married when we were ready.
Was it even right to give her hope of a future by dating when I know very well that we could never be together. I mean in eight years I had to pick a wife out of a group of strangers that I don't know so wouldn't it better for Mer if I just came clean about my life? NO! A voice in my head says if she knew who you were she would only want to be with you because of it!
Fine I concluded I'll tell her I have no feelings for her and I only see her as a friend. Damn. I love her but I don't want to hurt her in three years when we could have an amazing relationship and she'll be thinking about marriage and I'll be thinking about the selection.
Something I was excited about when I was a boy. I would dream about a nice girl who would love me and I would love her it would have been perfect if I hadn't met my one and only my dear Mer.

America
Today's the day when I tell Max that I want to be with him and I would love to be his dear forever. He started calling me his dear a year after we made our little deal as kids.
It's adorable how it all happened then he started calling me his dear. We were talking and suddenly Max asked if he could call me his dear and I said I would love that and kissed him on the cheek. Yeah we have gotten to kissing not yet on the mouth but I am hoping when I tell him I want to be his girlfriend we can try a real kiss. He'll be my first kiss and first boyfriend. I hope I am his first kiss and first girlfriend. Won't that be romantic we met by chance and stayed together by fate. We are destine to be together. I love him.
OMG! Did I just say the L-word about Max, my best friend Max? I have it bad I hope he feels the same way or else I might never love again, maybe. I mean I don't even know what love feels like, I think.

Ten minutes later

I'm across the street from the woods that lead to our bridge. *sigh I have it bad dang, I hope he feels the same way. I walk in and see Max. I run up to him and hug him with all my might but he seems distant. Like he is scared to tell me something. Or maybe he just nerves to tell me he wants me to be his girlfriend! *Internal girl screaming EEEKKK,
"Max I have good news! I want to be your girlfr-"
"Mer" He cut me off. What is happening?
"Mer we can't be together. Ever."
"Why? Your the one who said you wanted to be with me!" I could feel the tears welling up.
"MAX YOU ARE THE WORST I HATE YOU AND ALWAYS WILL FOR BREAKING MY HEART!"
"What? You love me with all your heart? Damn it! I'm an idiot I should have stopped coming as soon as we made that stupid bet all those years ago. I never wanted to hurt you Mer. I love you too. But we can never be together because of who I am. My father would never allow that to happen to my image."
"What are you talking about your image? Max what caste are you that you have an image. Are you a two? And you've just been playing with my emotions? That is so cruel!"
"No Mer I-I-I'm prince Maxon Schreave ruler of Illea. I have a selection in less than three years. It wouldn't be fair to you if you were my girlfriend and we could never be together for real like normal people our age. Because I would have to break up with you for a complete stranger that I don't even know yet!"
This broke my heart I just need to cut it off now and end this pain.
"Ma- Prince Maxon I don't think I can keep seeing you knowing that you would be cheating on some bitch you don't even KNOW! SO BYE YOUR MAJESTY!" I do a mocking bow and run off to my house. I can hear him yelling the name I gave him. So happy he doesn't know my name. So he can purposely pick it in "less than three years" or so he says.

That was my longest chapter yet I hope y'all enjoyed it I know I enjoyed writing it have a wonderful day or night BYE 👋