[89] Regrets and Consequences

Hey guys! So sorry. Been busy! Please forgive me!!!

>>>>Song of the Chap: One Last Breath by Creed>>>>

>>>>Pic of the chap: Robert Forrester played by Ben Barnes>>>>

Chapter 89

Charlie ran. As soon as he stumbled onto his feet, he didn’t stop running. Even when his lungs burned, and his breath sawed in and out of his mouth, and his calves screamed, he kept pushing, out of the bookstore, and down the street; and ran all the way to his house.

He slammed the door open, making two people jump in surprise. He ran past them, down the hall into his room. He finally stopped running once he was behind his closed door, and locked it. He put his back on it, almost as though to add another barrier between him and the outside world. He could hear his mother yelling, “Charles Forrester! What did you do!?” His knees finally gave out, and he slid down the door until his ass touched the ground.

He looked down at his hands to discover that they were shaking. He followed those shaking hands all the way up his body, down his torso, to his legs, only to realize it wasn’t just his hands. Fine tremors shook his entire body.

His right hand kept twitching, as though it still held something there. He could feel the cool heavy weight of the weapon he’d just been holding not that long ago. His hand felt even heavier than back then, as the weight of the nonexistent gun his hand doubled--no, tripled that of the gun he’d left behind at the book store.

He’d done it. He’d shot the one and only guy he’d ever looked up to. He’d shot him. He’d shot Adam. He....he...

His heartbeat picked up wildly, as the world around him shook like an earthquake, and his breathing wouldn't calm down. He heard his mother’s voice as though she was far away instead of just on the other side of the door. The only thing he could focus on was the feeling of that gun in his hand. He could still feel the kick of the weapon as his finger pulled the trigger...BANG!

A death-like vise gripped his chest, and the agony overwhelmed him. A loud roaring sounded in his ears, and his throat hurt, and he felt his dry lips crack in places. It wasn’t until his jaw hurt and his lungs felt like they were collapsing did he realize he was making the sound that deafened his ears.

~•~•~•~

Phil stood near the door, arms crossed as he kept one eye on Josh and the little small helpless girl in the big hospital bed, and the other eye was kept on the window of the hospital door in the hopes of spotting Casey. No luck on the latter.

As for how it was going with Josh and Billy, he was completely surprised. The way Josh hovered over the bed as though Billy was going to wake up any minute stunned him. He was so used to the Josh that always had an ominous look on his face, slouched when he walked around, and always looking on the edge--except for when he play football, that is. He couldn’t remember the last time he saw anything else passing for interest in Josh.

Ah, yeah...Nicole. It was when he had been with Nicole Fisher...before she committed suicide.

Phil sighed as he walked away from the window. Casey wasn’t going to show up until he was back in his room. That’s just how she was.

He came and sat in the chair opposite of Josh, taking note of the way the other guy gingerly held Billy’s hand, as though it were fragile. Josh’s attention was solely on Billy’s face, watching her as she took her breaths, as if measuring each one, looking for a change.

“What?” Josh asked quietly, startling Phil.

Phil cleared his throat before he said, “Ah...do you...really like her?”