[107] Protecting Him From Himself

I wasn't sure if I should put Adam's part with this or not, but decided to make another chapter starting with Adam. So, here's...well...you'll see. 

Chapter 107

Three days. It seemed more like a year had passed within those measly days.

Dean had ended up at the Hayes residence the whole three days. They were all too scared to leave Josh alone by himself since forcefully carrying him away from Billy's room.

They weren't scared that he was going to hurt anyone. Nor were they afraid that he'd try to go back to the hospital and possibly make Billy's condition worse, hurting her even more...

Nope, none of those.

They were afraid that he'd hurt himself.

As soon as they'd gotten out the hospital, it was like the life went out of Josh. He sagged in their arms, and they were scared that he'd collapsed into tears.

But when they let go and he stood on his own, they could see his lifeless eyes. It was really frightening. To see a person who always had so much spirit look so dead inside.

Gabe, Andy, Phil, and Dean exchanged glances, worry writ all over their faces.

"I'll go with Phil. Andy."

"Yeah--" Dean threw his keys to him, and the younger boy caught it in surprise. "What's this?"

"You can drive, right?"

"But I don't have my license!" Andy said in alarm.

"It's okay. Just don't get pulled over." Dean said. "I know Uncle Fred's been teaching you on and off, right?"

"Yeah...but...I've never driven in the rain!" Andy added.

"There's a first time for everything." Dean said, walking away with Phil and Josh. "I believe in you!"

"Wait, Dean, don't do this to me!"

But Dean kept walking, his focus back on Josh.

They put him in the car and put his seatbelt on him. Nothing from him. He sat there quietly, looking at nothing.

Dean decided to ride with Phil to watch over Josh. He climbed in the passenger seat, scooting toward the middle. No snarky remarks about wanting the window seat. Phil got into the driver's seat. No angry exclamations about Phil and Dean taking him away from Billy.

The whole ride was deathly silent as they watched Josh for any action at all. There was none.

It was when they got to his house that all hell broke loose.

They had gotten Josh to get out the truck. He took a few steps, but then stopped. Phil and Dean turned and looked at him, extra attentive, since it had been his first action since leaving the hospital.

Dean was the first one to see the flash of silver.

"Josh, no!" He yelled, diving for his hand.

Phil, even though he wasn't sure what was going, lunged forward too, grabbing his other hand.

Dean wrestled with Josh's arm, putting his huge fist over Josh's.

With one final yank, Dean won, and he came back with a pocket knife in his hand.

Phil's eyes widened. "Did he...he wasn't trying to...right?" Phil asked.

Before Dean could respond, Josh pulled himself free from the two of them and took off running down the street. The rain didn't bother him, he just started running desperately.