Josh And Billy-Rachel

Twenty Years Later

Josh and Rachel sat on the living room couch, sitting on the edge of their seats as they looked at their oldest child, and only son.

The boy was sitting nervously on the loveseat couch, his leg jiggling up and down as his eyes--an almost replica of Rachel's except the white ring around his pupil--shifted around. His hands couldn't make up their minds whether they wanted to be folded in his lap or flat on his knees. Every once in awhile, one would come up to run through his sandy-brown hair.

"Come on Ethan, you need to become like an ice-cute and chill--"

Ethan glared at Josh. "Dad, you're not helping."

Josh's expression turned to surprise for only a split second before he glared back. "Boy, don't talk back to me! I provided the sperm that made you! Without me, you--"

"Dad!" Ethan yelled, standing up, hands balling up at his side.

This didn't escape Josh's notice. He also got to his feet. "Oh, so you want to go at it with your ol' man, is that it? C'mon, I'm ready," he said as he lowered down into a fighting stance, and lifted his hands. "I'll give you a freebie--"

"Josh," Rachel's hand settled on his forearm.

Clearly frustrated, Ethan turned away from his father and started pacing.

At that moment, a teenage girl came barreling out of the kitchen. "Dad! What happened to my hot pockets!" She paused when she saw Ethan pacing. "What's up with the loser?"

"Your brother's just being paranoid--"

"Paranoid!?" Ethan said, facing his father again, "My fiance has gone to tell her parents that she's just gotten engaged to me, and you think I'm being paranoid!?"

"Whoa, cool it hot sauce!" Ethan's sister said as she came and took a seat next to her mother.

Ethan took in a deep breath, clenching his jaw at the same time. "Danielle, I'm not in the mood for you--"

"Hey mom, Billy said he wants to come over, is it okay?"

Before Rachel could respond, all heads turned towards the sound of the front door being slammed opened.

Ethan went white as a ghost and as stiff as a corpse as he saw a big bull of a guy charging his way, and behind him, a lion of a man right on his heels. "ETHAN PHILLIP HAYES! WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU THINKING PROPOSING TO MY DAUGHTER!" The barreling voice alone scared the shit out of Ethan, but he stiffened his legs and stood ground.

But his voice was another matter. "Ah, U-uncle--"

"DO THINK WE'LL ALLOW THIS!" The blonde lion came up, looking like he wanted to rip Ethan a new one.

"We-well I was--"

"I DON'T CARE IF CHRISTY SAID YES! YOU DIDN'T GET MY FUCKING PERMISSION!" The bull yelled.

"Dad! Daddy!" A high-pitched voice sounded behind the beasts in front of Ethan. Then a girl, small as a mouse, came running past them to stand in front of Ethan, looking every bit as protective as a mama bear protecting her cubs. "Leave Ethan alone. I love him!"

"Yeah, I've got love for him too. I'd love to beat his ass!"

"Okay, Gabe and Babe, that's enough." Josh said, walking over to the little group.

At the thirty-year-old nickname, Andy glared at Josh. "When the hell did you know about this!?"

Josh sighed, his eyebrows going up in his slight irritation. "You should actually be thanking me. I'm the one that sent Christy to tell you guys."

"Wait, you're actually okay with them getting engaged?" Andy asked. "Did you give them your permission?"

"She's still in high school!"

"So? Rach and I was basically engaged when she was fifteen. Christy's already eighteen--"

"Like father, like fucking son, eh?"

"What the hell's wrong with my son!?" Josh said, his anger finally kicking in.

"Okay guys, that's enough." Rachel stood up and walked over to the group of men, putting a hand on both Gabe and Josh's arms. "The choice is up to the kids. They're practically adults already."

"But--" Gabe started.

"Yes, I understand, Christy's your baby girl. " Rachel walked over to the two young adults and put a hand on each shoulder. "But she's now old enough to make her own decisions. And I trust my son to make good decisions too.There's no use trying to stop it. They're going to be together with or without your permission. You," She looked straight into Gabe's eyes, "should know that more than anyone, Gabe."

Gabe clenched and unclenched his jaw. Took a deep breath. Andy's hand came up and grabbed onto his. "She's right."

"I fucking know that. It doesn't make me like it any more though." Gabe walked up to Ethan, putting a firm hand on his shoulder. "You better treat her like a fucking queen, or I'll mow over your ass like grass. Understand?"

Ethan looked intimidated for all of three seconds, but then a light of determination came into his eyes. His shoulders squared, and he puffed out his chest, and nodded to Gabe as he looked him straight in the eye.

Gabe turned without a word, Andy following. And they left without a word.

Ethan's breath came out in a long sigh. Then he turned to Christy and gave her a smile. "We did it."

"Yeah fuckers, you did." Danielle said as he stood up. "But I wish you would have gotten punched by uncle Gabe. That woulda been hella funny!" She said as she walked out of the living room.

Before Ethan could say another word, his phone buzzed. After reading the text message, he turned to Rachel. "Mom, My friends want to come and talk to you."

"Are you talking about Jason and Maysie? I really like them, they're so adorable together."

"No, it's some of my other friends. Edgar and Addy.Edgar thinks it would be a great idea if you talked to Addy."

Rachel smiled, her soft blue-green eyes warmed as she looked at her son. "Of course. I will do anything for my son." She ran a and through his hair. "you're my precious boy." she gave him a hug. "Oh," she said backing up, "Have they eaten? I'll make something for them to eat!"

"Oh, mom, you don't have to--"

"It's okay. They're guests!" She hummed as she walked off towards the kitchen, leaving Ethan to bite his lips as he watched her retreating back.

A laugh filled the room as Josh set a heavy hand on his son's shoulder. "Your mother's gonna try to make something to eat even if they just came back from a buffet Might as well indulge her."

Ethan looked pained. "But I don't want to kill my friends."

It was quiet for two seconds before a snort filled the room, and Josh's laughter rocked the room. "Do not say that near anyone but me. But come on, they won't die from it. Might be sick for a week, but not die. Look at me! I eat your mother's cooking daily, and I'm here still, aren't I?"

"Yeah, but I have a feeling it's done something to your head."

Josh laughed again. "Son, I was crazy before I met your mother. Her food didn't do that to me. As your uncles. They're living witnesses."

Suddenly, Rachel's head popped out the kitchen door, her blue-green eyes glowing with excitement. "I'm going to make meatloaf!"

And then she disappeared again, leaving the two males standing stock-still.

Josh cleared his throat. "I'll buy you guys pizza. Don't worry."

 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you so much for your continual patience thus far. It's been a rough, bumpy ride throughout these four years. Thank you.

~Kyeire~