[74] Little Bit of Laughter...

>>>>Song of the Chap: Feel Again Dog Days Mashup by Mike Tompkins>>>>

Chapter 74

Phil sighed as he turned the channel for the hundredth time. Nothing good seemed to be on. He turned off the TV and went to staring at the ceiling. Maybe it was the fact that his mind was still playing the same scene of a couple hours in his head. He'd reckon this was the forty-third rerun today.

“She’s your fucking sister!”

The horror on his father’s face that was also shared by the girl upset him. Why did they have to act like he was the bad guy with his words? But...the girl. Something about her did seem to be familiar...but his father yelled at him because he couldn’t remember her? Sorry for losing my memory, Pops. He thought.

Phil let out a slow breath. Hearing his own father yell at him was a shock, but hearing Adam speak about them winning and all that shit only confused him more. How much exactly did he forget? His whole head was fuzzy as though the gauze wrapped around his skull was also stuffed into his cranium. He didn’t even remember starting the school year. If he thought back hard enough, he could remember sometime near the end of his junior year, coming home from a game....yes, he remembered that much. And a week later, going out with the guys...he vaguely remembered taking finals...and then....and then...?

His head started pounding. With an exasperated sigh, he cleared his mind right away. Frustrated, he threw the remote across the room where it hit the wall with a loud whack before clattering to the floor.

A knock on the door sounded a second later. He didn’t answer. He was too wrapped up in his frustration until he noticed a small round girl’s face peeking past the side of the door. Her dark eyes peered at him with sparkles in them. Her dark brown hair was pulled from her face with little clips on each side of her head.

“...Yes?” Phil asked.

She gasped as though she didn’t expect any conversation directed at her. She came in further, but kept her hand on the door. She opened her mouth as though she were going to say something, but nothing came out. In a flurry, she turned and walked back out without muttering a word.

One of Phil’s eyebrows went up. What the hell? He shook his head and went to sit up so he could pick up the remote, but was startled right away by the door suddenly swinging open and the same girl burst through, nearly toppling over a vase of flowers. But she caught it quickly and set it back down before facing him...except her head was bowed, so she wasn’t looking at him, but at his lap.

“HiMyNameIsCaseySmith.AreYouPhillipPierce?IHeardFromTheNurseThatYouHaveAmnesia,SoIWantedToSeeYouBecauseYou’reLikeMe.”

Then she stood there breathing hard.

Phil looked at her with a look of bafflement before he burst into laughter.

Miffed, the girl looked up at him. “What?” She asked.

“What-hahahah.” Phil couldn’t stop laughing for some reason, and after the rough time he’d had since waking up, it felt good.

He finally regained control of his laughter. “Nice to meet you too.” He said with a wide smile as he wiped away the tears at the corners of his eyes.

She blushed and looked away again.

“I see you know who I am, but I didn’t catch your name.” Phil said.

“Ah...err...Casey. Casey Smith.” She said quietly. She looked up suddenly. “Thur nurse told me you have amnesia!”

Phil looked at her and his smile shrunk to a small one. This girl was so blunt, it kinda put a pang in his heart. “Well, yes...I guess.”