[85] Headed Towards Billy

**If anyone, by the end of this chap thinks they've got a better title for it, please do share!**

I'm a week late. :[ (Hahahah that's what she said!)  Ahem. Back to serious mode: Sorry. I'm off by a week! 

>>>>Song of the Chap: Bombs by Golden State>>>>

>>>>Pic of the chap: Phil played by Zach Roerig>>>>

Chapter 85

The entire Hayes family was currently sitting in the Pierce Residence living room--well, minus one. The atmosphere was as grave as a funeral service.

Of course, supporting a best friend while both his children are in the hospital was the right thing to do, but for Christopher Samuel Hayes, it was a necessity. Nothing would make him feel more guilty than not sitting there, knowing that his son was the reason why Dan's daughter for all of half a year was in the hospital.

And now that he thought about it, if Josh hadn’t gotten into it with Phil on the night of the party, Phil wouldn’t be in the hospital either.

So on both accounts, the reason Dan was at home by himself was his son’s fault.

Chris turned to Dan, who was, like he had been, staring at the floor with his eyebrows pushed together so far, they almost looked like they were one. He wish he knew what to say to distract the guy. Shows how much of a best friend he was. In the past, it was enough for Dan to come to Chris’ house and just talk about his problems. That’s all that he seemed to need.

But no mere talk was going to help with this one.

But what the hell else could he do but come over. And once he was coming, Amy Hayes, his wife wanted to come, although she couldn’t stop crying. Even now, she couldn’t bring her face from behind that white hankie she held with the one hand, the other holding tightly onto little Danny’s hand. And Mandy and Angie tagged along.

So here they were, even the youngest one quiet as a mouse.

It was almost as awkward as the time he had asked Amy’s parents for permission to marry her when she was only fourteen, and he only sixteen. Yeah...

The ‘rents didn’t much appreciate that. Amy was cool with it, but mom and dad, yeah. Fourteen was way too young--

“Billy’s birthday is in a week and a half.” Dan’s announcement seemed overloud in Chris’ ears. Probably the fact that it had been silent as the dead up until now. It took a minute to get over the shock to realize what exactly was said.

“Billy’s? Really?” Chris’ inquiry sounded lame, but right now, not many words seemed to be in his vocabulary.

Dan sighed and nodded as a response. “When I first took her in, I wanted to do so much. One of them being to throw a big party for her for her birthday. Instead, I’ve got to watch her as she lays in that damned bed.” Dan rubbed his face. “Damn, I’m such a horrible father.”

It was Amy, not Chris that answered. “Do not say that! You are a good father. Phil is one of the most kind and most respectable boys I know. Even more so than Josh--” Her sentence was cut off as she spoke her son’s name. “Oh, I can’t believe Josh did...” Her sentence trailed off as she started crying again behind her hankie.

Chris glared at the floor. “Damn it! I feel like I’m the bad parent. Josh’s temper got the better of him. It’s my fault your daughter’s in a coma--”

“Don’t fucking start with that!” Dan bellowed so suddenly, even the two girls who were quietly sitting together jumped. Little Danny looked almost ready to cry from the outburst, and Amy’s crying temporarily subsided. Dan looked at all the wide eyes and then cleared his throat. “I, ah...sorry. It’s not your fault. We all knew Josh had a temper, but he had a reason for that temper. And as much as I’m furious because Billy’s in the hospital for seeing his violence, I have to admit that he was also protecting her. Not to mention that he’s probably the one hurting the most because of Billy’s condition. He’s sitting in that jail, regretting his actions even now--”