[82] An Apprehensive Tension

Okay. Are you ready? Are you really ready for what this chapter is going to bring you? You should be.

>>>>Pic of the Chap: Phil Pierce. Played by Zach Roerig>>>>

>>>>Song of the Chap: Secrets by OneRepublic>>>>

Chapter 82

It was sometime later that Phil hung up with his dad. After so long of talking, the silence in the room roared in his ears. He rubbed his face, feeling like he’d aged a couple years in the span of an hour. Yeah, It wasn’t every day that you listened to your strong, dependable, rock-steady father cry like a baby.

He let his hand fall to his side, where it brushed against soft silk. In surprise, he looked down to see dark brown hair fanned around a sleeping face. Sometime through the call, he’d focused so hard to the other side of the line that he had forgotten about the things around him.

He lifted his hand and watched as the strands of hair slid through his spread fingers. Dropped his hand. Lifted. Watched.

Soon, the sifting of his fingers through her hair became petting her head.

But he soon realized what he had been doing. Never in his life had he ever had the urge to pet someone’s head. He yanked his hand back as if he’d been bitten.

Then jumped when Casey spoke, “Why’d you stop? That felt good.”

Phil opened and closed his mouth a couple of times, but nothing came out. He had nothing to say; he had no explanation as to why he’d done it in the first place.

Casey lifted her head and looked up at Phil groggily, which made Phil’s heart thump a good one. “If it makes you feel better to play with my hair, you can keep doing it.”

“Ah, no, I-ah...ah...” He cleared his throat. “Shit-ah," He cut off his curse, "Sorry, I meant-”

“Shit.” Phil stared at Casey when the word left her mouth, dumbfounded. “You meant shit, right?” She asked in a matter of factly voice.

Phil’s eyes stayed wide for a second longer before he burst into laughter.

Casey’s bottom lip started to poke out. “You laugh at me too much.” She sulked.

Phil sobered up. “It’s not that I’m laughing at you this time. I’m just surprised.”

Casey gave him a doubtful look. “You better be.”

“I am! I am!” Phil said with a big smile.

Casey’s face softened. Then she smiled just as softly.

Phil noticed it right away. “What?”

“When you were talking to your dad, you had this really bad look on your face. I’m glad you’re better.”

Phil looked down. “Yeah, sorry. I’ve been going through so much lately. I feel I should thank you for how much you’ve been right there for me, making me laugh.”

It was quiet for a couple minutes. And then Casey asked, “Is it because of that Billy girl?”

“In part. But a lot has to do with the frustration I feel for not remembering anything from the past six months.”

There was a couple minutes of silence before Casey said anything. “On my way here, I overheard the nurses talking about a girl in a coma. They said her name was Billy. Do you think that's the same girl?”

Phil’s eyes widened a little. Then he looked down as he nodded.

“Do you want to visit her?” Phil looked up. He swore, this Casey girl was full of surprises. “Will that make you feel better Phil?”