11

One year later

Bridget and I walked along the shops, casually looking around. The cold wind nipped at my cheeks but I had grown accustomed to southern Germany's erratic weather and learned to love it. Though I still hadn't learned the language, I could pick up on social cues and get around with Bridget. The girl was incredibly smart and she was well-versed in several languages already. She was eight and I was nineteen and I could still only speak one language; broken Spanish that I learned in high school didn't count, in my opinion.

"Can I buy a dress today, Anna?" She asked.

"Which one do you want?"

"I don't know yet."

I laughed lightly. "Then why do you want to buy one?"

"Because I want one."

I shrugged. "Sounds logical."

Richard and Donny stayed close to us but gave us a little room to breathe. Since the mysterious death of Liam's parents, Bridget wasn't allowed out much. Liam tended to keep her under lock and key but every once in a while, I was able to convince him to let her go out. It wasn't often but it was better than nothing.

"Why didn't Liam want to come?"

"He wanted to but Mariah's flying in today so he had to meet her."

"I don't want her to be here," she pouted.

"Why not? She's nice to you."

"Yeah, but, I don't want Liam to marry her."

"They're not engaged yet," I reminded her.

"He's always grumpy when she's here."

I couldn't deny that. He was instantly in a horrible mood when he heard she was coming. He was grouchy and snapped at everyone, especially me. I tried to avoid him as much as possible when I knew she was coming. I didn't know why he hated her visits so much because I enjoyed them. I loved talking to Mariah; I loved more that she wasn't interested in Liam. Even though I knew she wanted nothing to do with this, I still envied her. Liam wasn't just some guy or boss to me. He was everything and I wished my position was different but it wasn't. I had accepted the fact that my social standing would never be good enough for him and I pined for him in silence. He couldn't have known what I felt for him because I buried it deeper than he would ever look. I never wanted him to know what I felt. I never wanted anyone to know. It was just as stupid now as it was when I first met him.

"He's just stressed."

"He's mean to you."

"Sometimes, but I am a servant."

"So? He doesn't have to be mean to you."

"Go easy on him. He's having a hard time."

"He's still mean."

I laughed lightly. "You're so stubborn."

She smiled up at me. "Just like you."

"Hey, Anna, you wanna stop in here for a minute?" Donny asked.

I turned to see him looking up at a small bookstore. I hadn't pegged Donny for a reader but I never spent much time with anyone except Liam and Bridget. Lisette, Donny, and Richard were the only others I really cared about. Crystal and the maintenance staff could jump off a cliff for all I cared.

"Sure. In the reading mood?" I asked.

"I always read," he fired back with a smile.

"Why don't you get a couple books today instead of a dress?"