4

My throat ached and burned. I tried to swallow to relieve the dryness though it didn't help at all. I lifted my hand to my throat to rub it but something stopped me. I opened my eyes to see a hand holding my own. I glanced around the room and the last few hours came crashing back to me.

Liam watched me carefully, gauging my reaction.

"How do you feel?" he asked.

"It hurts," I croaked.

He handed me a glass filled with blood. I hesitated for a moment but I couldn't resist the smell. It was too tempting. I downed the glass and wanted more but at least my throat wasn't burning like it had been.

"Better?"

I nodded. I was embarrassed to want more and I refused to ask. I wanted to live on as little blood as possible.

"Would you like another glass?" he asked.

I shook my head. "No."

"How about a shower? You might feel better," he offered.

"Yeah," I agreed.

"Try standing."

I did as he said, carefully trying to stand. I felt weak, my body exhausted but I was able to stand for a moment. My knees buckled but Liam caught me before I could fall.

He helped me to the bathroom and leaned me against a wall while he turned on the shower. I watched him carefully as he pulled a towel from the rack and put it closer to the shower. I wasn't sure why I was so comfortable with him but I was completely at ease with Liam. He was calming. Something about his presence comforted me. Everything about him pulled me in and kept me from running even though I knew I was capable of running now.

"Ready?"

"Yeah," I responded weakly.

He wrapped his arm around me and led me to the glass shower.

"Do you want me to help you?"

My head slumped down as I tried to unbutton the shirt. My arms were weak and heavy. I felt disgusting but I didn't have the energy to actually shower.

"Can't I just sleep?"

"You're covered in blood and sweat."

"I'm so tired."

"Try it?"

I nodded in agreement. He had already seen me naked multiple times so what was once more? He unbuttoned the shirt for me and tossed it to the side. The feel of his skin against my own was tempting. I hadn't felt tempted like that in, well, ever. He was careful to keep his hands on my waist and back which made it even harder to resist temptation. Heck, if I had avoided it for eighteen years, I could stay abstinent until marriage.

But I was a servant now. I wouldn't be allowed to marry anyone or have any kind of relationship with anyone.

"Why am I so weak?"

"You just went through an entire DNA swap. It'll take you some time to recover."

"I thought I was supposed to have better senses," I said.

"You will but I'm not going to let them bombard you."

"You're controlling my senses?"

"Dulling them. I'll give them to you slowly."

"Then why do I feel this way," I asked.

"What way?"

"Like I want you," I complained.