26

This one is super short and kind of a filler, but I have midterms this week. Sorry!

"Hurry up," Pierce whispered to me.

I picked up Zeus, something I never would have been able to do human, and sprinted to catch up with Pierce. He rolled his eyes slightly, but I could see the amusement buried deep in his ruby eyes.

"That thing is almost as big as you."

"He has feelings too, you know," I quipped.

"I'm sure. Anyway, if we can make it to the Austrian boarder tonight, tomorrow we can cut through Switzerland into France, and from there it should only take us a day to get up to Ireland."

"Why don't we just cut north through Germany instead of making a huge U?"

"Because Liam's power is stronger in Germany. If we can get out of here quickly, we have a better chance of not getting caught."

"I guess."

It made sense, but I still felt like it was a waste of time. We could have just gone north along the French boarder and it would have been the same, but I left it to Pierce. I had a terrible sense of direction anyway and I would be no help in navigating.

"Plus, I can't tell you the real plan."

"Why not?"

"Because Liam made you. He's probably listening in right now."

I had forgotten about his ability to find me.

"Isn't that kind of a huge problem?"

"Probably."

"So what do we do about it?"

"There isn't much we can do about it. I could bite you, but that would put you out of commission for hours at least. We don't have that kind of time."

"No," I agreed.

"Maybe it can help us though. Do you know how to access his thoughts?"

I shook my head. "I've never tried."

"It's easy from what I hear."

"What you hear? You don't know how to do it?"

"I've never turned a human."

"Why not?"

"What purpose does it serve me?"

I shrugged. "I guess none."

"Exactly."

I trudged behind him through the flat forest terrain. We had been walking for hours since leaving the castle. I wasn't sure where we were, but the forest was new to me. I hadn't seen one since moving to Germany. I had only experienced the small town and vast countryside with rolling green hills and an endless horizon.

"So how do I see his thoughts?"

"I don't know. We can stop here for a minute."

I set Zeus on the ground And let him walk around a little. I wasn't going to let him out of my sight again though. It was bad enough that I wasn't with him for over a year. That wouldn't happen again.

Pierce pulled out the phone Donny had given us and dialed a number. I wasn't sure who he called, but I assumed it was his father. He spoke in an unfamiliar language quickly and quietly. I couldn't pick up a single word of his conversation so I settled on watching Zeus sniffed around. I knew he had to be hungry at that point. I wasn't sure when he last ate, but it had been at least four hours of us running.

Pierce ran a hand through his hair in clear frustration, but he also held a slight look of relief. I wasn't sure what the person on the other end told him, but it looked like good news.

He finished the conversation and without warning, crushed the phone. My jaw just about hit the ground. That was our only form of communication! How could he just destroy it?

"Why did you do that," I demanded.

"It was Donny's. It could have been tracked."

I suppose that made sense, but I still wasn't sure. Of course Pierce had said he was going to help me and he seemed like he genuinely cared about what happened to me, but I had also believed that about Liam. I thought Liam cared about me and that turned out to be way off base. I thought I knew Liam. I didn't. How could I fully trust Pierce? I hardly knew him at all.

"What now?" I asked.

"We stick to the plan. We have some help."

"We do?"

"It's not much, but it's something."

"What is it?"

"I wish I could tell you, but you're just going to have to trust me."

I tossed him a flat look. "Trusting the men in your family is what got me in this situation."

"You just happened to trust the wrong one. It happens."

"This does not happen to everyone."

"Trusting the wrong people happens. It's part of life."

"Maybe your life. That was never an issue for me."

"Well, you don't have much of a choice right now. You have to trust me."

I scoffed in response, but I wasn't going to really argue it. He was right. I didn't have a choice but to trust him. I didn't care for my options, but the only other solution would be to go back to Liam and die. I would have to take my chances with Pierce.

"Let's go. We still have a long way to go tonight."

"How much longer?"

"Long enough."

"You know what really doesn't make sense to me?"

"What?"

"I felt how much he loved me."

"I don't know what to tell you. I always thought it was a little off that he talked about you at all. That's not like Liam."

"What if something happened to him?"

"I don't think anything happened to him. I know it's hard, but you have to look at this objectively."

"I am. Something happened to my parents. Something might have happened to him too."

"Something happened to your parents because he wanted it to. The Liam you think you know isn't real."

"You don't know that."

"I do know that. I grew up with him."

"Well, I think there's something else going on."

"You can think that all you want, but it doesn't make it true. If he catches you, he will kill you."

I shook my head.

"You can go back if you want. I'm not going to risk my life again to save you."

"I didn't say I was going to go back. I just said I think there's something going on."

"Fine. Let's keep moving."