8

This is a short one. From here on out, things will move very quickly.

I adjusted just enough to be comfortable with Bridget laying her head on my stomach. Liam was on her other side but she chose to cuddle more with me for some reason. We were about half way through Tangled--again-- and she was falling asleep.

Liam glanced over at me for a moment then looked down to Bridget.

"She likes you a lot."

"I think she likes anyone that's not mean to her."

"No. She doesn't usually care about anyone outside of the family. She doesn't connect well with others."

"Why not?"

"No idea. She never has."

"How old is she?" I asked as I played with her hair.

"Seven."

"Really? I thought she was younger."

"She looks it but she doesn't act it most of the time."

"How old are you?"

"So now you're curious about me?"

"I should probably know something about you."

"Twenty-four."

"That's a pretty big age difference."

"Vampires usually have kids well into their three or four hundreds."

"I guess never aging has its perks."

"It does."

"When were you turned?"

"I wasn't."

"So you were born a vampire?"

"You were born human."

"Yeah, but... I don't know. I'm still getting used to this."

"You're taking it pretty well."

"I know. It's kind of weird, don't you think?"

He shrugged a little. "Everyone takes it differently. Maybe it's not bad since I'm dulling your senses."

"Maybe. I don't know. I'm just not really torn up about not being human."

"Maybe because you weren't supposed to be human."

"That's a weird thing to say."

"Think about it. You struggled when you were human. Ever since you've been with me, everything's been easy for you."

"I wouldn't call that auction house easy."

"I said since you've been with me."

"I guess."

"Have you felt any pain since you completed the change?"

I thought about it and he was right. I hadn't even had a slight pain. Actually, physically, I had never felt better.

"No."

"Most people struggle but you've adapted better than I thought."

"I guess that's good."

"It is. I'm trusting you with her, Anna." I could tell my the sound of his voice that he was serious.

"I know. I won't let anything happen to her."

"Good. I have to go."

"When will you be back?"

He smirked. "Why? Miss me already?"

"Yeah, right."

"I'll be back in a couple days for the funeral."

"Is there anything I should know about her?"

"Not really. She should be pretty easy but just make sure she doesn't get too attached to you."

"I know."

"It wouldn't be good to confuse her."

I nodded absently. "I understand."

"Good. I'll see you in a couple days."

I watched him stand and leave the room quietly. I wondered where he was going but I didn't want to ask. I knew it probably wasn't my place to ask. I had been pushing my luck with him and I already found a few boundaries. It was best to test the waters a little at a time.

I waited for a little bit longer before I left Bridget alone. I desperately needed some sleep and a shower.

I closed the door behind me and made my way back downstairs. I hadn't seen anyone else which was a little strange. I wasn't sure if people were just working or if there weren't many servants here.

I stepped into the shared room and closed the door only to be greeted by a girl not much older looking that me.

"Hi," she said. She stood and walked over to me with her large hand out.

"Hi. I'm Annabel."

"Lisette. You must be the new girl."

"Yeah. I just got here last night."

"Crazy night. You're King Liam's servant, right?"

I cringed at the reference but nodded anyway. She laughed a deep, throaty laugh.

"We were all the same. Hated that we belonged to anyone but you get used to it after awhile."

"I don't think I'll ever get used to him."

"Your creator? It's good you're this far away from him. It's harder when they're close."

I scrunched my nose. "Liam hasn't left me alone yet."

"Wait... Liam, as in King Liam?"

"Yeah..."

"Oh my God. No way! He is not your creator!"

"Trust me. He is."

"I didn't think he would ever bite someone! You must have had some moves," she hinted.

"What do you mean?"

She laughed. "Oh, come on! The only account we have is Crystal's and most of us don't even believe she slept with him."

"Wait, what? No! I didn't sleep with him!"

"You didn't?"

"No! I've never slept with any one but especially not someone I just met."

"Oh." She seemed shocked by what I said. "So why did he turn you?"

"I don't know," I mumbled.

"Weird. Anyway, this is my bed. You can have that one. What's your job anyway?"

"Right now I'm watching Bridget."

"Really? What happened to Crystal?"

I shrugged. "Li-- uh, the King told me to watch her while he's gone."

"Well, that's good. Crystal can be a bitch anyway. I'm glad she's getting knocked off her high horse."

I nodded a little. I was really too tired to deal with anyone at the moment. I just wanted to shower and sleep.

"I'll be back later. See ya, Annabel."

"It was nice meeting you."