3

My eyes flew open. I scanned the room for a moment until my nose grazed a porcelain toilet. I threw my face in the toilet and threw up again only this time, it was beyond nausea. The knotting was so intense and the burning had moved only into my stomach. I gripped the toilet seat, steadying myself for another.

"Miss? How are you feeling?" a man asked.

I turned slightly to see Richard standing behind me. I hadn't noticed his appearance before but he kind of reminded me of my father. He looked about the same age with a similar build but that was where the similarities stopped. Richard was far more harsh in appearance than my father. He was hardened by life where my father had led an easy, gifted, life.

I shook my head and rested my cheek on the seat. I wanted to be brave and stoic but I was terrified of what was happening to me. I curled my legs closer to my body as I tried to control my sobbing.

"It'll be over soon. You're moving along much faster than you should be."

"Please, you have to stop it," I begged.

"I can't."

"I can't be this. My soul..." I trailed. Another bout of vomit cut me short. How much more could I possibly lose? I felt weak and lightheaded.

"You will be immortal."

"Is that what you think? That you're all untouchable?"

"Miss, when you work for this family, you are untouchable."

I scoffed, "And what happens on judgement day? How do you think your immortality will help you then?"

"You're God-fearing. That's good. It'll help you behave in your role."

"Am I the only one that sees anything wrong with this?"

"No. Plenty of servants protest but most accept it eventually."

"I won't."

"I have no doubt about that. I don't think we've had one like you ever."

"Defiant?"

"Religious. Some say they are but they quickly fall for the vampire lifestyle."

"I don't have a choice."

"Not really but you can still pray for your soul. God forgives."

He was right. God does forgive but how could he forgive this? My soul would be tarnished by the time this was over, completely useless to God. I couldn't be saved if I was a vampire.

"How can He forgive this?"

"You didn't intend for this to happen. What you do with it determines whether or not you can be forgiven."

Right again. This man certainly knew his Bible.

"What can I possibly do with this? You heard him. I belong to him now."

"The prince is not a monster. He is establishing rules for you."

"I don't want this."

"I know but now you have to deal with it."

"How? How am I supposed to do anything? I'm his slave."

"Servant. There's a difference."

"No there's not. He bought me. He expects me to work it off. I wouldn't even know what six million dollars looks like, let alone how long it will take me to work it off."

"You really don't see how good this situation is for you?"

"No."

"If Ahmad had won, you would be handcuffed to a bed until he tired of you then you would truly be a slave. With Liam, he turned you. He is just as connected to you as you are to him."