28

You guys asked for it, so here is the real Liam:

I pitied the girl, but I had no idea what to say to her. She was right. I had cost her everything even if it wasn't truly me. I had never turned someone before and I was adjusting to it just as she had a year prior. Her thoughts and emotions rushed through my mind in a blur making it difficult to pinpoint anything. From what I could tell, she was an interesting person, but I knew she hated me. I usually wouldn't describe someone as hating me, but she clearly hated me.

I led her on the ship and down to where the rooms were. Pierce disappeared at some point. I didn't mind though; I needed to speak with the girl alone so she understood what happened and why.

I stopped in front of a steel door and turned to face her. She was surprisingly beautiful despite her disheveled appearance. Her blonde curls spilled around her small waist in complete disarray, although I had a feeling that might have been typical for her.

"I apologize for the way I treated you in the garden. Rachel was watching and I'm not entirely sure who is working against me."

"Okay," she muttered.

"I'm not sure what else I can say."

She shifted her weight from one foot to the other, clearly uncomfortable in my presence. I didn't blame her. She thought she loved me. I couldn't imagine being in her position. I wondered if she still loved me or if she was over it. I hoped for her sake that she was over it.

"Can I just go to sleep now," she asked.

"I was hoping I could explain things to you."

"What else is there to explain? It's pretty cut and dry."

"It's not. You were there the night my parents died. I need to know what happened."

I could tell that got through to her. She wouldn't deny me that knowledge.

"I don't know. You dropped me and Bridget at home then took off with Donny. That's really all I know."

"I didn't mention anything that happened?"

"No. Donny told me-" she paused and bit her lip. "Are you sure you want to hear this?"

"Yes."

"He told me you found them on the side of the road. They had already passed."

I nodded absently. "Did I ever do anything to you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Did I ever hurt you," I clarified.

She shrugged. "Not really. Not until the end."

"I see. Was there ever a time that you could tell something wasn't right?"

"Are we playing twenty questions?"

"Sorry," I trailed.

She shook her head as if clearing her mind. "I was serious, Liam. I don't want to see you after this. You might not have been you, but for me, what we had was very real."

"I understand that, but-"

"I don't think you do understand. I can't just forget the last year. You were the only thing I had and that turned out to be a lie. My parents are dead because of you. My entire life was destroyed by vampires. I was only eighteen and now I have to try to figure out how to create a life outside of you."

"I know I have no right to ask you for anything, but I lost my parents too because of this. You're the only person that was around me consistently and you're the only one with answers."