19

Anna:

The pounding in my head hadn't stopped for two days. Liam thought I was insane and maybe I was, but I knew these people were not my parents. They looked like my parents, talked like my parents, even brought me to my childhood home, but they were not my parents. I couldn't explain how I knew, but I knew. I prayed for Liam's trust, but I broke that when I taunted him on the plane. He wouldn't listen to a word I said now. Of course he never left my side, but that was because he thought I was sick. He thought I lost my mind. I was sick for sure, but I hadn't lost my mind. I knew what was happening. I knew exactly what I was saying when I told him I wanted to sleep with Pierce, but I couldn't stop myself. It was like something took over and I was powerless against it. If it wanted me to tell Liam those horrible things, I did it.

I watched Liam for a moment. He was slunched down in a recliner that formerly lived in the family room. I wasn't sure when it was brought into my room, but it's where Liam slept. I mean, he hardly slept, but when he did it was on that chair. I felt his distrust towards me and I didn't blame him. I killed someone already. I ripped a man to shreds and the worst part about it was that I didn't feel that bad about it. I wanted to hate myself for it, but I didn't. I hardly felt any remorse for killing someone. Granted, it started off with me trying to defend myself against him, but I didn't have to kill him. I could have disabled him. Instead, I went the extra mile and annihilated him.

"Liam?" I asked quietly.

He didn't stir and it was probably best if he stayed asleep. He needed the rest. I moved my arms a little only to realize I was still heavily chained to my bed.

I let out a frustrated sigh and glanced over at Liam again. He really was amazing. He was king and I was sure he had a million other things to do, but he was here with me. He cared enough to put his duties aside and come here on a whim to try to help me. He didn't even know if this was going to work, but he took the chance.

"Staring is creepy," he mumbled.

"Nothing I do is creepy."

"Except when you stare at me."

His red eyes locked with mine. He had started watching my eyes very carefully when he talked to me. I wasn't sure why, but I didn't care. I liked that he did it.

"How much longer do we have to be here?" I asked.

"As long as it takes you to get better."

"I feel like I am better."

"You might feel that way, but when your temper starts you're out of control."

"But I haven't lost my temper since the plane."

"Anna-"

"You're awake," the woman pretending to be my mother said as she walked in the room.

I didn't respond. I didn't know what this woman wanted with me and I didn't care. I just wanted to leave.

"She just woke up," Liam said.

"Good. I was thinking Anna and I need some time alone," she suggested.

Liam nodded, understanding what she meant.

"I have some work to do anyway. I'll check on you in a couple hours."

"Wait, Liam," I quickly protested.

"It'll be okay, Anna. I'll be downstairs."

"Don't leave me alone with her," I panicked.

"I promise you'll be fine, sweetheart." He leaned over and kissed my forehead.

I watched him leave and close the door behind him. I let my gaze fall on the imposter as she slowly approached my bedside.