30

I left Liam's room and wanted some fresh air. I had no idea where we actually were or where we were really headed, but at least I knew the mode of transportation.

I noticed Pierce standing out by the railing, watching the water. I went to stand next to him and leaned my elbows on the metal.

"Still mad?" He asked.

I shook my head. "I overreacted."

"I don't think so."

"No?"

"No. You thought he was going to kill you."

I scoffed. "I'm still not convinced he won't."

"He won't. Liam isn't bad. I promise."

"Yeah, well, I guess I don't have much of a choice. I have to be around him."

"True." He agreed.

"He didn't really tell me what would happen if I wasn't around him."

"It's not pretty."

"How bad could it be?"

"Bad. You just spent a few hours away from him and you were pretty much comatose."

I scrunched my nose. "No I wasn't."

"You slept for almost nine hours. I was trying to wake you up for five."

"You were?"

"When he got closer, you started to wake up."

"So will I die?"

"Slowly and painfully."

I nodded absently. "This is such a mess."

"How?"

"How is it not? I can't be around him that much."

"I think you'll be fine in a few weeks."

"I don't know. It's weird to be around him and not really know who he is."

"You two share a connection, Anna. You know him better than anyone. Probably even better than he knows himself."

"I barely met the real Liam."

"That doesn't mean anything. There's a reason royals don't turn humans. The fact that you even survived a royal bite is a miracle."

"I barely survived it."

"You should have died. I don't know why you didn't. You must have someone looking out for you."

I laughed though it was only half heartedly. "Was it really that bad?"

"You're one of five known survivors. Royals are not meant to turn humans. Their venom is too potent."

"What about you?"

"What about me?"

"What if it had been you?"

"It wouldn't have been nearly as bad. There still would have been the possibility of death though."

I thought about Pierce's words and watched the water like he did. I wasn't completely sold on the idea that I should have died that night, but multiple people seemed shocked that I survived. I didn't know why I survived. My only guess was that God still had a plan for me. I still didn't know what that plan was and I probably never would.

"So when we get to Ireland, what happens?"

"We try to figure out how far this goes."

"How far do you think it goes?"