14

Days.

It had been days since I told Liam I loved him and I hadn't seen him since.

Well, I hadn't seen anyone, really. Even Bridget stayed away. I wasn't sure if she knew I was back but if she did, she was avoiding me. Mariah hadn't talked to me, no one. Lisette kept her interactions to a minimum and I just accepted it.

I knew what people would think of me. They would think I was only trying to be with Liam to improve my position. This was exactly the reaction I was terrified of. Everything that I didn't want to happen ended up coming to fruition.

I flipped over on my stomach and traced the quilt patterns on my comforter.

The only real interaction I had was with a seamstress Liam had sent down and even that was strictly business. All she wanted to know was my size.

I didn't even want to go to the party and I especially didn't want to go as whatever I was now. I would have to see Liam and pretend like everything was fine but nothing was fine. I wasn't okay and even though he said he loved me, he had an interesting way of showing it. He didn't love me; he loved the idea of me and I needed to accept that. He loved the chase but as soon as he got me, it was over.

"Knock, knock," Donny said as he came in my room.

I sat up but did nothing else to greet him. I wasn't in the mood for company.

"A girl's gotta eat," he said. He tossed me a blood bag and sat next to me.

I didn't want to admit how thirsty I actually was so I politely nipped the bag with my fangs and drank. I wanted to ravage it, to have more, but manners didn't allow for that.

"So. You've been cooped up for days. What's going on?"

"Nothing."

"Bull. What's this going on with Liam?"

"There's nothing between us."

He laughed. "You're a terrible liar, Anna. Come on, it's obvious. We all heard you two fighting."

I shook my head absently and set the empty bag on my nightstand.

"I don't know, Donny. When he looks at me, all he sees is a servant. He can't get beyond that."

"Ya know, I've been here a long time. Liam's grandparents hired me so I've seen him grow up. Future rulers are brainwashed. Liam's dad was lucky he found Erica before they arranged something."

"Arranged?"

"That's what they do. If he doesn't find someone that the council accepts, he's forced to marry someone that they do accept. Someone like Mariah."

"Just because she's royal, she's automatically what the kingdom needs?"

"He fought to have you here. You were supposed to be shipped off."

I scrunched my eyes in confusion. "What?"

"Council said he spends too much time with you and they wanted you shipped off to Eric or Ahmad. He fought them to keep you here."

"When?"

He shrugged. "Few months ago. Don't be too hard on him. He's trying to make this work."

"No, he's not. He's trying to change me so it's acceptable to be with me. That's not what I want."

"You think he wants to be in this situation? He could have taken the easy way out and just married Mariah. He could have forced you to be his mistress, but he didn't."

"He couldn't have done that."

"I think you forget exactly who he is. He is a powerful, influential, King. If he wanted to take you as a mistress, who do you think would stop him?"