27

We walked so much my legs felt like they were going to fall off. I thought I was supposed to have super endurance, but that seemed untrue. I had been lied to for a year about everything else, so why would my abilities have been accurate? Liam probably lied about that too. Still, I couldn't shake the gnawing feeling that there was something else going on. I didn't know who to trust, so I just didn't trust anyone, not even Pierce. I needed Pierce, but that didn't mean that I believed everything he said.

"Hey, Anna," Pierce asked.

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't mean to be rude."

"It's okay."

"It's not. I should have been more considerate."

"Yeah, well, it's fine. Just forget about it."

He nodded. "We should be at our destination soon."

"Our destination," I scoffed. "Just tell me where we're going. I haven't felt him in my head since we left."

"He could still be there. Until we can get to someone that can teach you how to block him, I'm not taking any chances."

"Why can't you teach me? Isn't it common knowledge?"

"No. I was born pure. I've never needed to block or be blocked."

"Oh."

I hated to be skeptical of everything, but I couldn't be naive in this. Being naive got me into this situation and it wouldn't get me out.

We finally came to a break in the forest to the side of a dark road. A single car sat about a mile up the road. Pierce did not hesitate to head in the direction of the car, but I wasn't so sure. Anyone could be in that car. What if Liam got ahead of us and was waiting there?

"Pierce," I warned.

"It's okay. It's for us."

So this was how he planned to get across the countries. I guess it worked, but it did seem a little risky to me. What if someone spotted us?

"Are you sure it's safe?"

"No, but it's the best option we have."

"What if the person helping us is really working for Liam?"

"Then I guess they are and we're screwed, aren't we?"

He had a point. I hated to trust people when I didn't even know the plan. I wished he would just tell me so I knew what was happening, but I understood his reasoning.

I reluctantly followed him to the car and set Zeus in the backseat. It wasn't anything special which surprised me a little. It looked more like a car my family would have driven, not a duke. The seats were black leather, but it was only a Honda.

"Lay down," I told Zeus. He didn't need to be told twice. He laid in he backseat with his chin rested on his giant paws.

"He listens?" Pierce asked as I slid inside the front seat.

"I trained him well."

Instant relief rushed through my legs as I sat in the car. I hadn't realized how exhausted I was until I sat for a moment.

"Why don't you get some sleep, Anna," Pierce suggested.

"I'm okay."

He didn't respond. Instead, he started the car and pulled onto the road. He drove in silence for awhile. I wasn't sure what was on his mind, but I didn't want to go to sleep, however tempting it was.