12

Don't forget to comment, vote, and share! Remember, I'm trying to win a Watty here and every vote and share counts. Thanks, guys! I worked extra fast to get this one edited and out because that last cliffhanger was totally unfair.

He looked at me with an intensity I had never seen. Every ounce of bottled lust spilled through his fiery red eyes. I wanted to kiss him so badly but I couldn't. I couldn't deal with the aftermath. I didn't want to see him marry someone else, to see him be happy and have a family with another woman. I wasn't good enough for him but I loved him. Wasn't that enough?

"Anna," he said softly. "I don't know what to say."

I shook my head. "Don't."

"But I love you, Anna. I always have."

"You can't."

"I'll do whatever the hell I want."

He pulled me flush against him and pressed his lips to mine. I had never been kissed that way; it was life altering and all he had done was kiss me. I never could have imagined it feeling that way.

He tightly wove his hands through my hair, deepening the kiss. Everything in me wanted to keep going but I knew if we did I would only fall harder for him and I couldn't afford to be more involved. I wasn't going to risk his throne for this. He said he loved me but I wasn't convinced that it was love. He couldn't possibly love me, not when he had someone like Mariah waiting for him to propose. Besides, he was a king and I was nothing. Even before I had been kidnapped I wouldn't have been good enough for him.

"Stop it," he mumbled against my lips.

I pulled away slightly and rested my forehead on his chest.

"You and I won't go anywhere."

"Yes we will."

"Where? You say you love me but are you going to marry me eventually? Be realistic, Liam."

"I can't marry you. You know that."

"I know. Which is why I can't do this."

"I do love you, Anna. We can be together, I just can't marry you."

"So you just want me to be a servant that plays wife here? Do you have any idea how degrading that is?" I demanded. I was angry that he even thought that was a possibility. I stepped away from him to think. I couldn't think with him that close.

"You would be my wife in every other aspect. Isn't that what's important?"

"No! Are you insane?"

"Anna-"

"No. I'm not having this conversation with you. I'm not going to be a glorified whore, Liam. I can't believe you would even think that's something I would do."

"I can't just change a law that's been in effect for thousands of years."

"You're the king," I said flatly.

"It's my duty to uphold our traditions."

"Then go propose to Mariah."

His jaw was tight and I could tell he was at a loss. I knew he wanted to be with me but he was right. It was his duty as King to lead by example.

"You know she means nothing to me."

"Let me go, Liam," I begged. "I know you're going to marry her whether you want to or not. I can't watch that."