10

I left Liam in his room and went downstairs to the kitchen. He was acting a little weird but I wasn't going to put much weight on it. I didn't think he liked the fact that I prayed for him but I didn't care. It didn't mean I was going to stop.

I stepped inside the state-of-the-art kitchen, a little hesitant to meet everyone. The staff turned to look at me as I entered, instantly making me self conscious.

"Hey!" Lisette stepped forward and tucked me next to her side.

"Hi," I responded sheepishly.

"Okay, real quick, you already know Richard and Donny. That's Sean, their boss. Adrian, Kyle, Frank, and Daniel work in the gardens. Jesse is the head of maintenance and Jordan helps him out. Me and Crystal are the maids. This is Anna, you guys."

I awkwardly waved and prayed the attention would end soon. Thankfully, everyone went back to their conversations except Lisette and Crystal.

"So you're the new girl," Crystal said.

"Yeah, I guess."

"Hm."

"You're Crystal, right?"

"Yeah."

"Bridget told me so much about you," I tried. I wanted to be nice even though she was making it difficult.

"Did she now," she said sarcastically.

"Yeah she said you were her nanny."

"Yeah, until you came along."

I wasn't exactly sure how to respond but I wasn't going to give her the satisfaction of being rude back. My mother always taught me to kill them with kindness and it had worked for me this far.

"Oh. I'm sure the king wouldn't mind if you wanted to spend some time with Bridget," I said with a smile.

"You would be the one to know, wouldn't you?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Lisette stepped in.

"She was in his room all day with the door locked. You do the math."

"I was just keeping him company," I said honestly.

"Right," Crystal nodded. I could tell she was being a bitch but I wasn't going to give in.

"Believe what you want but I'm not that kind of girl."

"For your sake, I hope that's true. He wouldn't want you anyway."

"Don't be such a bitch, Crystal." Lisette said.

Crystal rolled her eyes. "I'm just saying. I wouldn't want her to get my sloppy seconds."

I didn't know why but the fact that she referred to Liam in such a derogatory way had my blood boiling. He wasn't like that and I didn't want someone to talk badly about him. He wasn't even here to defend himself and she was running her mouth.

"I'm sorry you're so unhappy with your life," I said apologetically. I turned away from her, sufficiently ending the conversation.

Crystal gripped my hair down to my scalp and pulled back. I gasped in pain and tried to grab her hand to make her stop but she only tightened her grip.

"What the fuck," Lisette yelled at her. She tried to get Crystal to let go but before she would release me, she slammed my forehead on the thick marble island.

It hurt like hell and I could feel blood trickle down my forehead. I had never been attacked over something I allegedly did. Hell, I had never been attacked for anything. I had never been in a fight and it seemed like I was about to get my ass handed to me.