northlanes

Intro: "Hi! I'm Nina. I'm constantly reading, writing, or thinking about either of those things. I love cats and the Sims!"

1) Are you working on anything at the present you would like to share with your readers about?

"I am! I'm working on the second draft of my story, What I Know About Love. There are going to be some big changes but I'm really excited for November to roll around so I can get started, tbh! I'm also early in the conceptualization stage of another royal romance, so watch out for that!"

2) What, in your opinion, are the most important elements of good writing?

"Oh, man. Besides a solid grasp on grammar and spelling and all the basics, you mean? Conflict and good characterization, as far as fiction is concerned, anyway. No matter how beautiful your prose is, if not much is happening, there isn't really a story there, don't you think? And I think, even if you're writing a villain, if you're able to get me, the reader, to understand them, or even to root for them, then you've got me hooked!"

3) Writing can be an emotionally draining and a very stressful pursuit. Do you have any tips for aspiring or young writers?

"TELL ME ABOUT IT. There's a lot of advice online on how to improve your writing and all that, but something I had to learn the hard way was to not rule anything out in terms of my process because Hemingway said this or Woolf said that. Improvement comes with practice and time. I know it feels like the clock is ticking and time's running out, but it's not. Just take your time and be kind to yourself—no matter what you do!"

4) What was your favorite part, and your least favorite part, of the writing journey?

"I mean... besides writing? Just kidding. I dread revisions because I have to face my writing and make it better somehow. I often feel like I've squeezed out all the juice in my brain and don't know how else to improve a scene or whatever, so I'd say that!"

5) How many books have you written? Which is your favorite and why?

"I've completed five, two of which are more scripts than novels. I'd say my favorite is Ramona & The Silver Screen, because that's my first script and I really liked trying out a different approach to telling a story. It's also the first piece of fiction I wrote for fun in college, after a long, long creative slump!"

6) Do you have a favorite character that you have written? If so, who? And what makes them so special?

"Currently, my favorite is Maya Rodriguez from WIKAL. She's ambitious and feisty and I feel like her heart is always in the right place, even if she goes about things wrong a lot of the time. My second would have to be Simon from R&TSS because he's so sweet and supportive. Man, thinking about him is making me want to adapt R&TSS into a novel now! Hahahaha."

7) When you're writing a very emotional scene, how do you get in the mood?

"Okay, honestly, I feel like my writing would benefit more if I actually did a bit more preparation when it comes to writing emotional scenes. I often feel like I write them a little too cut and dry, but usually I just steel myself and try to keep my anxieties at bay while I write!"

8) What is the most surprising thing you discovered while writing your book(s)?

"If I cry while writing, that means it's coming from a really deep, vulnerable, and honest place! Tears are apparently a good measure for quality, especially when I'm writing essays!"

9) If you could spend time a character from your book whom would it be? And what would you do during that day?

"Can I pick three? I'd love to be a fly on the wall while Maya, Betsy, and Dani are hanging out. They're based off of my real life friendship with two of my friends so it'd be interesting to see what they'd get up to. But knowing them, they'll probably just be out by the pool, snacking and chatting about music and boys. Mostly boys."

10) What famous author do you wish would be your mentor?

"I'm a big fan of Cath Crowley. I'm fascinated by how she writes—both her choice of words and plot, if that makes sense. She also attended my former dream school, which is RMIT University in Melbourne, so I think it'd be a lot of fun to learn from her!"

-

-

-

Thanks for a brilliant interview, I hope you enjoyed it!