Olivaughn

Intro: "Hi! I'm Olivia Vaughn (only half a pen name), and I'm a Wattpad Star. I write a lot of YA contemporary novels - super rom-com-ish - usually featuring LGBTIQA+ main characters. I'm currently working on a greysexual romance (which is taking me longer than I'd anticipated!), and I have a few other more secretive novels planned for the future."

1) When did you write your first book, and how old were you?

"I've been writing since I was about eleven, but I finished my first book just this late February: "Candy Gram", from the Open Novella Contest. I was fourteen at the start and fifteen by the end. I'm currently planning a rewrite, which is both stressful as well as super exciting!"

2) Which of your personality traits has been the most useful when writing?

"Apparently, I suck at identifying my own personality traits. (Like, to answer this question, I literally just looked up "what are my personality traits".) My communication skills aren't too bad; I think that the ability to translate feelings and thoughts to others via art is incredibly useful, especially in writing."

3) Did you always know that you were destined for literary greatness, or you, as they say, "stumbled" upon it?

"Is there a way to know? Ever since I was little, people were telling me I was destined to do great things, but I think that's something all children should and likely are told. I really appreciate the insinuation that I *have* stumbled upon literary greatness, but, I'll be completely candid: I don't think I have yet. I don't think destiny will take me there, either. It's something I'll have to work really hard for - and that makes me incredibly happy."

4) How active are you on social media? And how do you think it affects the way you write?

"Wattpad is actually only social media I have! I'm a social writer, so, the more time I spend on the platform, interacting and growing, the better. I'll likely branch out to other social medias later in life, but, at the moment, I see them only as a distraction from growing."

5) Did you ever have a rough patch in writing, where nothing in the story seemed to fit or make sense?

"ALWAYS! I'm ALWAYS in a rough patch. What gets me through whatever rough patch I'm currently in, though, will only make it easier to get out in the future. I do what I can not to stress, and just ease myself forwards as slowly as I need."

6) Tell us about your writing style, how is it different from other writers?

"As strange as it may sound, I don't really see myself as HAVING a writing style. Since I write in mostly first person (I have a "Twilight Zone" meets "Landline" by Rainbow Rowell rom-com I want to try that might be third person, though), my characters are the ones telling the story, not me. I don't write the story as I'd tell it; I write it as THEY tell it. (That's actually how I know a story will go well for me: the voice springs out of nowhere.) I don't have a style, I think. My characters just are incredibly vocal."

7) Some writers create a bubble around themselves until they're finished with their project – how true is that in your case?

"I WISH I COULD DO THIS. Hear me out, I'm not complaining about the way I write. But, I'm so jealous of those who have the ability to do this! I would love to just have "Thor: Ragnorok" or "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" or "About Time" on in the background of all-day writing sessions whilst I gorge on too much ice cream in the dark, swaddled in some oversized blanket and oversized pajamas. (This is how I imagine seclusion.) My life would be amazing. I would LOVE it! But, yeah, I don't really get to isolate myself - especially since I'm such a social person, and, in extent, writer."

8) Lots of writers interview their characters, do you do this too and what sort of questions do you ask them?

"So, in "Spilling Ink" by Anne Mazer and Ellen Potter, they actually have a section on interviewing characters - something I would LOVE to try! However, I'm a pantser at heart, and since I love characters so much, figuring them out is the highlight of my writing experience. Outlining is hard for me - but, so is finishing a story - so, I decided to compromise. I recently wrote a summary of the whole story from the main character's perspective. I hope it works!"

9) Which book have you written that you are most proud of?

"Seeing as I only have one completed book at the moment (apologies to all past "failures" that weren't really failures because I learned something), I'll have to say my novella, "Candy Gram"."

10) What advice can you give to frustrated writers who write amazing stories but get hardly any reads?

"Don't give up! I've been on Wattpad since 2015 (technically 2017, but, like, who cares about legality?), and I only really got noticed this year. My high/epic fantasies were unnoticed. It took the ONCs to get me to where I want to be.

Get involved! I know it may sound trite, but I mean it. The more involved, the more passionate, the more YOU you can be, the better. Also, never stop improving your craft! Every time I read or watch something new, I have my . . . (what to call them?) "writer goggles" on. How do those characters form relationships? What's the pacing? What do I like? What do I love? What do I wish I could cut my right foot off (and that's my good foot!) to change? You are a writer. A good one, at that. Don't be afraid to treat yourself like it."

-

-

"Thank you so much for this opportunity! I'm super honoured to have been approached for this!"

-

-

Thank you for letting me interview you, it was a pleasure and I really hope that you enjoyed it too. Check out this Wattpadders incredible books, you won't regret it!