Eastwards

Intro: "Hi! I'm Na'Kiya Hall, also known as Eastwards and I am a proud member of the fiction awards, a soon-to-be featured author in the Wattpad block party, and a sixteen year old aspiring author who is currently in high school."

1) Are you working on anything at the present you would like to share with your readers about?

"At the moment, I'm currently working on an upcoming series I've been working on for the past year and a half. I'm determined to finish the first book and well on my way of writing the second one. So for those Uncharted readers, yes, there will be a second book, and maybe a third and fourth.

I'm also working on editing my currently published books like ATW and UTWY, and I'm writing a few other books offline that I've posted before, then unposted. In short, I'm balancing a lot, but I'm so excited to share it with you guys!"

2) What, in your opinion, are the most important elements of good writing?

"Generally, I've been told some of the best elements are characterization, and while I do agree with this, I also agree with the fact that there is more to add to this. I think that the author's voice is a very important element in good writing because me as a reader am always searching for distinct, hidden gems out there with new voices.

Coherence is also great as well because you want to always have a clear direction where you want your book/writing to go. For me, if I don't have a clear direction, then the book doesn't work for me, especially since I'm a pantser (I don't usually plan anything but the ending). The plot has to have more to it than just overused tropes.

In other words, a well rounded plot that isn't too predictable and I think that's when the author's voice really comes into action. So I guess I'd say your voice is the most important when it comes to good writing."

3) Writing can be an emotionally draining and a very stressful pursuit. Do you have any tips for aspiring or young writers?

"I relate to this statement so much, while it is something I love to do, it can at times be so stressful and sometimes you even feel like giving up, or you think your writing isn't good enough. It sucks.

My tips for any aspiring writer out there is that it's okay to want to step back from the world of writing. It happens, and as a writer although we become drained, our minds never stop coming up with ideas or plots. Write them down as they come, but never push yourself over the edge. One of my biggest suggestions is never let the pressure get to you. Have a goal to want to finish that book or those ideas, and even if you don't, at least you tried. Not trying is the biggest regret I carry with me in anything that I do. If you at least try to work at it, you're a winner either way."

4) What is your favorite part, and your least favorite part, of the writing journey?

"Woo, I've had a lot of those kinds of moments in my journey. Ha.

I think my favorite part of my writing journey is realizing that this is something that I'm good at, and something I love to do.

My least favorite part has to be when I tore myself down because I didn't think I was good enough for wattpad or the writing industry. There were times where I'd cry and ask myself what I was doing wrong and why weren't people reading my work. I wanted validation and when I entered my works in contests I'd always feel let down when I didn't win. I thought my writing sucked because I was getting where I wanted.

Then I learned that as long as I was happy with what I wrote it was all that mattered. Because after all, you are your biggest cheerleader and critique(r) which is also a good part of my journey as well. I'm pretty sure that isn't a word. "

5) How many books have you written? Which is your favorite and why?

"So far I've completed two novels and a short story, and I currently have multiple other works in the working. My favorite book I've written has to be, Until There Was You because it features the concepts of masculinity (toxic) and has a black female love interest. It's told from a male perspective and follows the self discovery of teenage life, love, and growing up. We all have to do it eventually and it's a book that'll always be close to my heart."

6) Do you have a favorite character that you have written? If so, who? And what makes them so special?

"It's hard to choose between the main character in UTWY, Jude, or the love interest, Waverly.

love them both so much because they have traits in them that have come from a part of myself I liked and disliked."

7) When you're writing a very emotional scene, how do you get in the mood?

"It takes me three takes before I perfect an emotional scene, sometimes even more, and maybe that's an exaggeration but I do. To get myself in the mood I'll watch emotional scenes from some of my favorite tv shows or movies, or I'll listen to a particular playlist I have created for that particular book. Spotify works wonders during this time."

8) What is the most surprising thing you discovered while writing your book(s)?

"That I can convey emotions through my words and make readers feel something. When I started to get comments on the way I wrote and all, I was surprisingly shocked and had to reassure myself that it was genuine."

9) If you could spend time a character from your book whom would it be? And what would you do during that day?

"Hands down, Nick from RIOT because he has a gift of making people smile and turning anything into something. He's fun and I'd want him to teach me how to be as spontaneous and happy as him. We'd probably eat my favorite ice cream and talk about him and Tempest (main character in the book)."

10) What famous author do you wish would be your mentor?

"Angie Thomas no doubt. The way she tackles issues and inserts diversity is phenomenal. I aspire to be as confident in my work as her and life-changing with my plots."

Thanks @Eastwards for a fantastic interview! I loved reading your answers and I can't wait to get started reading your books.

~Ruby ♡