09

Ashley wasn't in English class on Monday or Tuesday and Luke was beginning to get a little worried. It was like she'd disappeared without even telling Luke where she was going. He didn't text her to find out where she was, though, because he was afraid that he'd be annoying.

She finally came back on Wednesday, - looking extremely exhausted - but overall nothing seemed to be wrong with her. Luke was actually pretty glad, because he'd learned to like Ashley a lot and would hate for anything to happen to her.

"Hi." She said slowly as she sat down in her seat in English, noticing the way that Luke was staring at her.

"Where have you been?" Luke asked. He was acting as if he was Ashley's mother and usually they both would have laughed about it but today Luke was serious. He'd just become friends with Ashley and he felt like she was ditching him already, he didn't want to lose her.

"Home. I was sick." Ashley laughed at the way Luke is so worried about this.

"How'd you get sick? Did you kiss some hot boys? Was it mono?" Luke questioned, leaning in closer to Ashley just so he could annoy her more.

"I didn't kiss anyone, I spent half of my weekend with you, you dork." Ashley scoffed, shoving Luke away from her.

"I wouldn't even know if we kissed or not, I spent half of my weekend drunk." Luke giggled, running his hands through his hair again. He was trying to get it to stick up more than usual - Calum said it would look cool.

"Luke, sweetie, don't do that to your hair." Ashley laughed, grabbing Luke's hands and bringing them back down again. "And we didn't kiss, just so you know. I'm pretty sure you'd remember it anyway."

"So you were sick, huh?" Luke asked, trying to hide how embarrassed he was at the fact that Ashley was telling him not to do that with his hair. It looked cool, what did she know?

"Yes, Mom." Ashley groaned, rolling her eyes. "I wasn't feeling well so I went home during second period on Monday and I stayed home all day on Tuesday."

"Are you feeling better now?" Luke finally sighed, seeing that he needed to show some compassion.

"Yeah, I guess." Ashley shrugged.

"Why didn't you text me and tell me what was going on?" Luke asked. "I was worried, you know. I thought you, like, died."

"I didn't die." Ashley shook her head. "Why did you leave again on Sunday morning without saying anything?"

"Oh, you're upset about that?" Luke asked. "I just thought..."

"I was just annoyed, I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm just a moody teenage girl." Ashley chuckled. "For some reason I just expected you to be there when I woke up."

"I just didn't want your parents to find us together and get mad." Luke said quietly, suddenly feeling a bit guilty for just leaving Ashley like that.

"My parents wouldn't have cared, honestly." Ashley sighed. "They're too busy fighting to ever notice anything I do."

"I'm sorry." Luke said, looking back up at Ashley again. "Next time I'll stay."

"So there's going to be a next time?" Ashley questioned, biting down on her bottom lip.

"Of course. I get drunk a lot." Luke nodded.

"Yeah, I know." Ashley scoffed, rolling her eyes.

They stayed there in silence for a few minutes, ignoring their classmates as they moved around and got into partners again. Ashley and Luke never did their classwork anymore, they were always too busy talking about more important things.