Chapter 51) The Beach

"Kakashi-Sensei!" Naruto ran up to him, panting. "Come quick, we have to follow him!"

"What? Slow down Naruto. What's happened?"

"Hidan! He didn't check in after his last mission." 

Kakashi frowned at this.

"What about his teammates?"

"He went alone this time. No one likes to be around when he does those sacrifices."

"We'll leave in ten minutes." Kakashi quickly returned to his house, grabbed his to-go scroll, and told Tenzo (they're neighbors) what had happened. Then he was off, finding both Naruto and Kenji waiting at the gates.

"I've already sent the beetles." Was Kenji's only explanation and Kakashi nodded, summoning his ninken and sending them out. The three were off then, Naruto going into sage mode to try and sense him. The dark purple chakra was distant and impossible to pinpoint with the thousands of people between them but he got them a direction and then went back to normal to save chakra. They were heading for the Land of Stones.

"A beetle has made contact

"A beetle has made contact." Kenji said as they rested around their bonfire, not wanting to be too tired out when they eventually faced him. Besides, now that the beetle'd found him he wouldn't escape. The ninken were still around too, ensuring they continued in the right direction. After passing through the Land of Stones they cut Southwest, going through the land of Wind. The hot desert sand rubbed like sandpaper across their faces as they went but still they continued. 

Next came the land of Sand and the land of Flames. This was as far as Kakashi had come before; the landscape was now a mystery. Towards the Southern end of the Land of Flames the trees changed. Along with pines oaks elms and other regular trees there were different ones. Tropical trees that Kakashi had seen only once before while on an island mission. As they went the palm trees became more and more prevalent until they were nearly all that was left. The sun was hot and there was hardly a cloud in the sky. They were getting close when the land ended in yellow sandy beaches. They slept there that night, camping on the sand. The whole experience felt uncharacteristically relaxing.

Rising with the sun the next morning they made their way over the small stretch of water separating the Land of Flames with the next land. As they arrived and continued on they saw many strange birds. Pink things that walked around on impossibly long legs. At the first city they asked the name of this place - the Land of Flamingos. Well, there certainly are a lot of them. As it was a small land it only took a few hours to cross. Next was the Land of Jungles and then the Land of Palms. 

The trees thickened again but they didn't realize that they'd moved into another land until, out of nowhere, a massive tiger attacked from the trees. Kakashi told the ninken to leave, not wanting them to be in danger. Unlike a normal tiger it had the ability to use both earth and wind styles and was a difficult opponent. Fortunately they were better. Just before they finished it off a dark skinned girl jumped between them and the beast, crouching and letting a snarl rip from her lips. The three men froze, confused, as she glared at them.