Chapter 47) Hidan

November and then December came and went and Akari lived a monotonous boring life at Shino's. The Leaf villagers hadn't changed at all towards her and most of the shinobi avoided her like a plague. Those few who didn't avoid her were avoided by her, not wanting to get too close. Naruto cheated. He frequently used sage mode in order to find her and because of that they'd gotten to know each other a little. She liked him, she really did, but she was sure she'd end up dragging him down.  He would be fine without her. His progress with the Hashirama arm was impressive and he had many close friends.

Akari still saw ghosts daily and had fallen into a deep depression. Multiple times a day she thought of ways to end it: the only thing stopping her was her brother. She reasoned that she knew that it didn't have to be like this but being confined to one place was making everything worse. She'd finally visited the memorial stone, surprised at seeing her own name not far from Obito's. Asuma's was further away. As she stared at the many familiar names a cooing sound came from behind her. Kurenai was standing there, a baby in her arms.

"Akari." Kurenai was one of the few who spoke her name without trepidation or contempt.

"Kurenai."

"Who'd you come to visit?"

"Everyone. Obito, Rin, Asuma, everyone. You?"

"This is Mirai." She said in way of explanation that didn't clear anything up.

"She's beautiful."

"I wish that Asuma could have met her."

Akari felt her blood drain from her face. Shit, they were together? Dammit. This is partly my fault.  I could have stopped it.

"I'm so sorry Kurenai. I didn't even know that you'd been dating."

"Yes... Asuma and I had been dating for nearly a year when he.." Kurenai's voice hitched.

"Mirai can grow up knowing that her father was a great shinobi."

"You worked with the ones who killed him." Akari nodded, feeling as if this was some sort of trap.

"Yes, I knew them well. And they were killed too."

"Well, mostly."

"What?"

"Shikamaru- Nevermind. It doesn't matter."

Could they not kill Hidan?!

'Fuck yeah bitch!!' Spectral Hidan cheered from beside her.

"Kurenai, again, I'm sorry that you lost him."

"Do you miss them? The Akatsuki?" Looking into her old friend's pained eyes she decided on the truth.

"Yes." She responded flatly. Kurenai gave a little gasp and Akari walked away, leaving her at the stone.

From that point on Akari's depression quelled slightly, once again having a purpose. Without drawing suspicion she researched. Finally the day came.  That morning she stopped by the cemetery for the 72nd time, still unable to enter. Sorry dad. Mom. Everyone. But I can't do this. I hate being trapped in one place and I can't abandon a comrade.  She walked around the village and then went to lunch with Naruto before packing up her bag and trapping the beetle in a jar, ready to leave.

December 21st. It was almost dusk and Akari was moving fast through the trees. Of course she'd figured out the place where he was kept a little while ago but the timing hadn't been right. Tonight was right. There was a huge festival for the winter solstice going on. No one would miss her. Her chakra senses were back on she was searching everywhere. There! She twitched violently and skidded to a halt, looking around her and seeing no sign of him.