Chapter 31) Kakashi's Dreams

Bright sunshine brought the meadow into a radiant state, the flower petals shimmering like jewels that have been just run under water. Kakashi could do nothing but stare. This place, wherever it was, took his breath away. A gentle wind blew against the grass and he took a step, noting how rich the soil smelled as his feet disturbed it. Not knowing where to go he followed the breeze up a gentle slope thinking that he'd like to get a better look at his surroundings. On the other side of the small hill it leveled off, the same flowers and grass, but here they were disturbed. A short way off lay a blanket, a wicker basket at one corner. A couple was standing, the man carrying a small woman to the basket and set her down next to it. Her arms were full of flowers and the two were smiling and laughing at some private joke. Without knowing why Kakashi took a step forward, then another and another, until the girl looked up suddenly. He was, he realized then, closer than was polite and was about to apologize when he took in the girl's appearance. Her eyes were bright with the aftermath of laughter but the smile was fading from her face. The wind caught bits of her chocolate hair, teasing it across her face, but the thing that caught his attention were the markings. Her markings. Rin. The boy next to him was looking at him now too and didn't give him a chance to take in the black hair and eyes, the typical handsome Uchiha face, before speaking.

  The boy next to him was looking at him now too and didn't give him a chance to take in the black hair and eyes, the typical handsome Uchiha face, before speaking

"Dammit Kakashi, you really had to come ruin our date?"

"Obito." Rin reprimanded, although not too harshly. "Kakashi just died, show some empathy. I'm sorry Kakashi, we didn't expect you to join us for a long time still." Rubbing the back of his head uncomfortably Kakashi cut in.

"Nono, there's been a mistake. I'm not dead. It's great to see you both though." Obito and Rin exchanged a look that clearly said 'oh no, he's in denial' so Kakashi continued. "I just went to sleep - this is a dream, not death."

"Kakashi.." Rin started.

"If this is death, then where are my parents and Minato's family? They'd be here if I'd died."

"Damn Kakashi, it's not like everyone's just waiting around for you to die - we have our own stuff to do. During battles and stuff sure we all gather here 'cause it's so close to the world of the living, but apart from that nobody really comes here."

"You're here."

"Yeah, but that's different."

"Why?"

"We're here because it's so close to the mortal world." Rin whispered. "We come here about once a week."

"Wait.... are you sitting here waiting for someone to die?"

"Sort of.."

"Nice date Obito." Kakashi couldn't help himself from teasing.

"Hmph. If you'd just taken care of her over there we wouldn't be in this mess."

"Wait... what?"

As if on cue his ears detected the sound of muffled sobbing. Rin frowned and Obito's face contorted into a grimace.