Chapter 4) Changes

They'd been traveling for three days so far, looking for the enemy. It was currently the third night and they were sitting together in a tree, Akari right in front of her father, the back of her head pressed against his chest while he steadied himself against the trunk. They'd been hoping that the enemy would light a fire or something, but no such luck. Minato had summoned a small frog that was currently sitting on top of his head and would be pulling guard duty. Father and daughter drifted into sleep.

They woke early in the morning, Minato shaking his daughter gently awake. According to the frog, and also to her father, the enemy would be passing beneath their tree shortly. Preparing, Akari stuck a shuriken into the tree branch in case she needed a breather. Minato performed a jutsu to hide both their chakra and their appearance as long as they remained still. Akari felt more focused than ever, needing to do a good job in front of her dad. His hand squeezed hers slightly and they began, both whipping their weapons through the air, materializing as they flew and slicing throats. It was over in an instant. Breathing only slightly harder than usual Akari looked up. The early morning sunlight was catching on her father's hair making it a dazzling golden color.  He was looking at her, proud but also sad.  And then she turned.  She looked around the two of them at the thirty-some ninja sprawled on the ground.  All dead with clean cuts to their jugulars.  We really just did that?  One of his hands rested on her shoulder.  Looking up she thought for the first time that he looked tired.  Old.  Even though he wasn't.  

"War is a terrible thing Kari. I'm sorry that you've had to experience it.. Hopefully it will end soon." His voice was soft from above her and she just nodded, not sure what else to say. How many did I kill? 8? 12? I'm not actually sure. Not as many as dad. He didn't even really need me here - I only got to come because I wanted to see how he did it. "You did well. Let's go home." Nodding again he picked her up and teleported the two of them, returning back to their living room.

"You're home!" Kushina cried, running to the two of them but stopping short. "Minato, you have to go after Kakashi!"

"What?"

"Right after you guys left they took her - the Mist kidnapped Rin.   Kakashi went after them.. He hasn't come back yet ya know! I just found out this morning when I got back from my own mission..." Minato teleported and Akari went to her mother, hugging her.

"You went on a mission too?"

"Yes, I couldn't stand waiting for the two of you to get back." Her mother's warm arms wrapped around her and she nuzzled into the woman.

"Mom, you're a jinchūriki." Akari voiced something she'd been thinking for a while, needing the distraction from what was going on.

"Yes."

"I overheard Fugaku saying that it wasn't safe for you to go on missions...?"

"Sometimes people worry because the power of the ninetails is dangerous and they don't want that power falling into the wrong hands, but that won't ever happen. Your mom's too good a shinobi for that. Besides, Kurama and I have an understanding."

"Kurama?"

"Everyone has a name, including the nine tailed fox. Even if we don't get along we still must respect each other."

Akari thought about this for a minute.

"Kurama?" She said, looking at her mom. "Can he hear me?"

"Yes, he can, although he doesn't always like to listen."

"Oh. Well Kurama, thank you for keeping my mom safe on missions. She's kind of awesome, and I don't know what I'd do without her."