Chapter 35) Leaf Destruction

Obito didn't show up for more than a week, but the others tried not to let it irritate them. To pass the time the three spent many days and nights together and it was enjoyable. Again Konan insisted on showing Akari how to run a village and again this annoyed Pain. Her explanation was simple - if and when they took over another place, they'd like her to lead it. Akari was flattered though a little uncomfortable with the idea. Leading a village was a long forgotten dream for hers, one that she didn't necessarily want to revisit.

When Obito finally came back to them he seemed.. Different. Now he was more distant, more serious, and much more threatening. He'd completely put Tobi's character behind him and had embraced that of Madara. Sasuke and his team had been sent to take the eight tails and so Obito ordered Pain and Konan to go find Naruto.

"Stay and take care of the village while we're gone." Konan ordered as she Nagato and the six Pains left for the Leaf. Akari stared at them, watching them go from the faces that looked out of the top of their tower. Twitch. Akari didn't turn as she felt the arms encircle her.

"Obito."

"Kari."

"They'll destroy it."

"Yes." No response. "Are you upset?"

"Yes."

"You don't want the Leaf destroyed?" He sounded genuinely confused and Akari chuckled softly.

"No. I want to help do it."

His grip tightened around her momentarily.

"Then go, but you only get ten minutes once it starts. Kill whoever it is you need to kill and get out of there- I need you to live."

"You think I'd let them kill me?" She asked, affronted.

"Either way, I won't risk it."

"Why not? The others are all dying. What's the difference if I do too?"

"Akari." He snarled. "The tsukuyomi is not ready yet. I cannot take living in this pointless world much longer. If you die I do not know what I will do.  Besides - you've worked too hard for the tsukuyomi to miss it."

She leaned her head back to rest against his chest.

"I will follow you to the end of this shitty earth Obito, but right now I want to kill me some Danzo."

"No."

"Why not?"  She pushed out of his arms, though one of his hands remained wrapped around her wrist

"Why not?" She pushed out of his arms, though one of his hands remained wrapped around her wrist.

"He cannot be defeated by someone without the sharingan." She glared at him. "Kill anyone else you like, but not Danzo. I have different plans for him."

"Fine. I'll be going then. See you soon." Akari pulled her arm free, picked up her cloak, tossed a shuriken at the floor where the point buried itself, and jumped from the tower.