Chapter 1) Prodigy

Trees blur as Akari sped through the branches.  A whir, flashes of silver.  With her kunai she parried, not missing a beat.  Drawing out three marked shuriken she let them fly.  He dodged two but the third stuck in his back and that's all she needed.  I've got you now. In a flash she was there, landing a hard blow with the butt of a kunai to the back of his head.  He didn't go down, only dazed from the hit but that was as expected.  They began exchanging blows.  He was good.  He made her actually try - but she was better.  She was always better.  Well, almost always better.

"Akari!" She looked away from the now passed out man on the tree branch to where the voice was coming from and cringed.  Sensei and her other team members had finally arrived and he was giving her that look.  "How many times have I told you?!"

"But sensei I had a strategy this time!"  Akari defended her actions. 

"And if the enemy had set a trap or had comrades we were unaware of?  Rogue ninjas rarely travel alone.  Just because this one did doesn't mean that next time you'll be so lucky."

Crossing her arms she scuffed the branch with her shoe, frustrated.  Shikaku-sensei was always able to make her feel like an idiot and she hated it.  Both her teammates were looking down.  Neither of them really minded her doing her own thing - she always did.  They got along just fine that way.

"Sensei, does it really matter since she's fine?"

Haru, her black haired Uchiha friend came to her defense.  He always did.  Haru was older than her - well everyone was older than she was.  Akari was the youngest on her team - seven years old while Kenji was 10 and Haru was 12.  Despite her age she was just as good, if not better.  A true prodigy. 

"Yes, it does matter."  Shikaku frowned at the boy who'd walked over and ruffled Akari's hair, leaving his arm momentarily draped across her small shoulders.  Giving a large sigh Shikaku shouldered the unconscious rogue.  "Let's get food."

The three genin followed behind him. 

"That was really cool."  Kenji whispered.  "When'd you finally figure out the flying raijin?"

"Dad and I worked on it all weekend 'till I finally got it."

"That was badass."  Haru joked, shoving her lightly.  "But do you have to get us in trouble all the time?"  Psh, just wait; when your sharingan activates I know you'll be the one showing off and getting us in trouble.

Akari gave an apologetic smile as they dropped off the man to the interrogation building and then made their way towards their favorite sushi spot.  As they ate Akari thought about what sensei had said.  He was right of course and that fact frustrated her.

"I'm sorry Shikaku-sensei."  She mumbled as their food arrived.  All the males at the table stared.  Akari, proud and stubborn as she was, hardly ever apologized.  She didn't meet their gaze, instead choosing to look at her sashimi.  "You were right - that was really stupid of me today and I should have waited for the rest of you to be ready before taking off.  I was just so excited about my new technique."

"Akari, the most important things for a shinobi are to have comrades who you trust and a mission that you believe in.  That is all that we as shinobi can ask for.  Trust and work with your teammates in the future - they won't disappoint you.  Otherwise it's all just a drag."

"Yes Shikaku-sensei."  Akari said, head still down.

The silence was broken by Kenji laughing, the others following suit as Akari blushed.  After that the meal was fun - they all laughed and joked, looking forward to their next mission.  While they were eating Shikaku asked if they wanted to participate in the chunin exams.  Akari didn't have to think at all.  "Yes!"  Akari beamed, looking expectantly at her teammates, but they were looking away.. Unsure.