Chapter 5: the remedy for a broken heart (why am i so in love)

Listen to the remedy for a broken heart (why am i so in love)

Mimi's POV:

(Let's give Mimi a minute to react.)

I've never seen Mae like this. I'm scared.

"Mae." I say.

"I'm sorry." she whispers. She almost seems catatonic. She has a blank stare on her face. Tears in her eyes. But somehow, someway, she looks at peace.

"For what?" Billie asks.

"I caused the fight." Mae stares ahead. "If I didn't try to defend Luke, he wouldn't have said those things to me and Jah. Jah wouldn't have punched him. He wouldn't have beat him half to death, I wouldn't have gotten punched. Everything would be okay. I caused it." she says without stuttering one bit.

"You didn't do anything wrong, Mae. It was Luke and Jahseh." Ski speaks up.

"Yeah." I cut in. "If Luke didn't say those things about you, then X wouldn't have done what he did. X was protecting you. We were all trying to. He just handled it the wrong way."

"Mimi. That's n-not how it works. Luke did n-nothing wrong—"

"How can you say that with a straight face?! Have you lost your damn mind?!" Billie exclaims.

"N-no one a-asked you, Billie." Mae states.

"I don't care. Luke did do something wrong. How could you let him talk to you like that?! He is obviously abusing his power over you." Billie says and Mae flinches.

"Luke d-did nothing wrong." she says, her voice breaking. "Luke l-loves me. H-he told me so. I'm not s-stupid." a tear escapes the corner of her eye and she quickly wipes it away.

"No one said he didn't love you. Or that you are stupid." Ski says, placing a hand on her shoulder.

She flinches again. "Y-you all think I'm stupid. I know s-so. You kn-know I have a speech impediment. So you think I-i'm fucking stupid!"

"We're just trying to help you, Mae. Let us help." I say.

"God damn it Mimi!" she stands up. "You guys still don't understand! I don't want your help! Leave me alone!" she runs out of the room.

"I'll—" I start.

"I'll go." Billie says. "I think I know what's happening." Billie gets up and walks out.

Mae's POV:

I run into the bathroom and slide down the wall. I cover my face with my hands as I sob.

"I'm fucking tired of you."

"I hate you."

"You're so stupid."

"This is for embarrassing me."

My shoulder aches.

"This is for almost getting me killed."

My stomach throbs.

"And this is for your damn speech impediment for making you so fucking dumb!"

The back of my head is killing me.

I hear the door creak open and I stand up and wipe my face quickly.

"Oh........ Hey Luke. I thought you weren't going to be here today." I say, trying my hardest not to stutter.

"You're crying. What's wrong?" he asks, moving closer to me.

"They don't believe me, Luke. You didn't do anything wrong. I did." I say.

"I shouldn't have said those things about you Mae. It was my fault. I'm sorry, baby." he says, pressing me up against the bathroom wall.

"I-it's okay." I smile.

"There's my happy girl." he caresses my cheek. "Where is he?" he asks lowly.

"Jahseh?" I ask and he nods. "I don't know."

"Don't lie to me." he whispers in my ear, his hand trailing down to my neck.

"I really don't know. Maybe he got suspended?" I say with uncertainty.

Lucas grips on to my neck with force. My feet are barely touching the ground.

I start kick and gasp for air, but his grip only gets tighter.

"What the hell?"

•°•°•°

Yep.

True story.

Okay bye you whores 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♂️